Good first trip

thurso angler

Went out for our first trip last night on our new boat, and had a good night,s fishing nothing huge but plenty of fish.

We left scrabster at around 6:30pm and steamed to the ground we would work which took us about 20mins, as always with a new boat we took it easy getting to know everything properly but first impresions were very good :D .

After arriving at chosen mark it wasnt long before the action started with some good pollack around the 5lb mark coming aboard. And then a red cod caught by graham

A few more pollack started to come abord and a few more red cod but no green codling so we decided to move out to deeper water from 70ft to 110-130ft.

And then the action hotted up lots of nice codling up to the 7lb mark and lots of double hookups which were exciting and tiring!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

All in all a good night spoiled a little by the boat overheating slightly, only to discover i hadnt opened the sea cock enough so water wasnt cooling the engine properly :o:(:o bit of a pain at the time as we had to go very slow on the way back in but releif now that it wasnt anything more serious!!

Total catch 47 Cod, 18 Pollack, 20-40 coley, dozens of mackeral, 3 ling

"Colonel Gadaffi, knows more about fishing than the whole of westminster put together"

Alex Salmond 2004 SNP Leader

"Forza Dons"

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and a few ling for brian

Posted Image

grahams red cod

Posted Image

"Colonel Gadaffi, knows more about fishing than the whole of westminster put together"

"Forza Dons"

Guest NickInTheNorth

Not bad for a first session :D:D

Now you'll have to go back and have a serious session!

Pleased to hear the boat went well (and that the minor problems were easily resolved )

Hi big cod, the fishing is close in a few miles off shore at the most, ive been looking for wrecks the closet i know of is six miles off shore (does or can anyone find some any closer???) so that is a target for us if we get a good forcast for some calm weather, the only problem up here compared to other areas is the seas are so rough it is very easy to get caught out but ive been very impresed with the seakeeping of my new boat so i am going to explore farther afield.

"Forza Dons"

Good looking boat for fishing ... and looks like a great nights fishing, with a good number of Cod ... they seem to be very plentiful up there (as usual)!

Was that The Hump you were fishing?

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

No gillies was going to go there "the grounds" do you mean?? on my way home but the engine was overheating and the last thing i wanted was to have to get towed in on my first outing! although i seen the karen fishing there last night but i dont know how he got on??

Bryan i suppose you can eat red cod but generally people dont as its been in about the weeds/kelp for some time and tends to be full of worms.

"Forza Dons"

Nice one Thurso, glad the test went well, I guess we won't be seeing you here much now as you will be out all the time :D

I've been to Scrabster... and I want to go back!!!