Idle question from a coarse angler..

GlennB

After watching a lot of sea-fishing on TV lately, I'm wondering why sea anglers usually hold the rod with the rings pointing upwards? Something to do with multiplier reels? Doesn't it cause quite a twisting of the rod that adds to the strain?

Just wondering

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Hi Macky - what I meant was that the rod (I imagine), when under pressure from a fish, wants to 'twist' so that the rings are pointing downwards. And the angler's wrists have to fight that, no? Maybe not.

But anyway - why the upward-pointing rings?

you're right in that its to do with the multipliers, not just sea fishing though, many pikers use them. why? try using a multiplier upside down and you'll soon find out!

Rods designed for use with a multiplier have smaller rings toward the reel, than a rod designed for use with a fixed spool reel.

They are also closer together so that the line follows the curve of the rod, above the blank.

If you were to use a rod designed for use with a fixed spool reel, with a multiplier, there is a danger that the line would go from one ring to another passing beneath the blank, causing the kind of problem that you imagine glenn.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

GlennB - do a search for the terms blank spine for more detail but basically, the process of making a rod blank causes it to have a direction in which it will bend more easily.

A well made rod has rings placed to work with the spine. On the 'bottom' for fixed spool and on the 'top' for multiplier. If the rings are placed right, the rod doesn't tend to twist. If they are wrong, it will and will feel horrible to fish with.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks all. (bear in mind this a purely "idle" question ...)

Those sea-fishing blanks must be designed that way for a purpose, i.e. to allow the rod to be used with the rings on top. But why? Jeepster gives a clue, but having never used a multiplier it's not obvious why it needs to be on top of the rod. Something to do with the angle of the line coming off the reel?

Cheers

multipliers work on the top, thats all i can tell you! i tried it the other way round, as i was curious to see what would happen, and it just dont work! the whole was a multiplier is degined is to sit on the top of the rod, from the way the line leaves the reel, to the way it comes back on, thats just the way it is! i'm sure someone much cleverer than me will be able to tell you why.

Macky - here's what I mean by 'twisting'(From www.rodbuilding.org, my italics )

"6. How do I make a rod stable under load?

The only way to create a stable rod under load is to locate the guides on the bottom of the rod. Under load, the line will seek the lowest point, regardless of where you locate the spine. The greater the load, the greater this effect will be. By their very nature, all fly and spinning rods are inherently stable. Casting rods with guides located on top, are inherently unstable and will try to twist when put under load."

Now, I can see that having the rings on top (relative to the spine) will give an advantage with beach-casting serious weights, but I can't see that as much of a deal when boat-fishing (which is what I've been seeing a lot of on telly these last few days)

Cheers

I dont use a multiplier but my mate tells me that when casting with a multiplier you need to control the cast just before you hit the water to stop the reel from having a birds nets. This is done with your thumb i believe. So my guesse is the reel is facing up to make this control practical.