Greys Nitro

Brian Carragher

Anyone had any experience of these rods snapping. Someone I know has just had one go on him in the usual place 18 ins from the tip. Is this a one off or are others finding the same problem.

I think this is the rod that replaced the Orion but whereas the Orion was made in Alnwick the Nitro is from the far East

Guest @Winter@

Why. Surely greys just changed the workforce not the materials? I heared rhumours of the first appollos snapping too when they first came on the market.

Brian I think the nitra replaced the srx. Think the orion is still on the market.

Edited by @Winter@

I cant pass comment on the Nitra. However in the summer I bought two Geys rods.

Returning to the beach after a fifteen year break, I checked out the selection of rods at my local shops and opted for two Supro's. Initially I was well pleased. However four or five months use has left me thinking I've made a mistake.

- the reel seat doesn't 'lock' on my mag elites. My guess is that it wouldn't lock with other similar sized reels. What reels do greys expect you to be using with this rod. I have to pack out the reel seat to fish, and occassionally have a reel slip mid cast, not good.

-the whipping finish is splitting, and there are signs of rust on the ring feet (under the whippings) on several rings, and I look after my kit religously

-bite detection is garbage unless I'm fishing less than about 50 yards.

On the plus side, I've learned to cast with them (thanks to a mate who's a casting instructor), and I've caught a few fish using them over the last few months.

BUT, actions speak louder than words, and I'm going to change them. I've a totally open mind as to what to buy other than I'd like 13ft + reducer or equivalent. I've looked some century's and daiwa's, but in my part of the world its impossible to look at zzippys.

Has anyone any reccomendations ? I will obviously take on board any comments, but I will travel to view anything before I buy...