What do you get if you have 2 Capers,2 mad ppl and a big river?

Zzippy

Zzippy and I went for a paddle on the River Stour this morning.

Launched near Christchurch about 2 miles from the harbour entrance. This section of river is tidal and launching at low tide we had a reasonable current to paddle against in the shallows.

We soon spotted fish. We saw mullet and trout and further up we spooked quite a few chub.

Going past a local golf course we decided to help clean the river. These are my balls :P Zzippy got some too.

golfballs.jpg

Up river we came to a weir.

weir.jpg

The current was fast around here.. a good place to test out how a given kayak will perform. The Capers could only get so far and we had to wade spooking many fish.

Zzippy looking for submerged rocks.

checkingforrocks.jpg

Our Capers

twocapers.jpg

Deciding it was time to test out my drysuit I made several runs down part of the river. As it was shallow in places I had to keep my legs up high & stop my @ss bumping on the gravel in the shallows.

weirrun.jpg

Next we dragged the kayaks through the 'really fast part' so we could get closer to the weir and we paddled around the whitewater. We didn't have helmets so didn't bother going down it. But getting close to the whitewater the kayak got sucked over and I took a dunking. Decided it was a good time to practice rentrys so went back for more.

Clips of rentrys (compressed and converted to .wmv Windows Media Player Format - up to about 2 megs each I think)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/speciman/yakf...unkingready.wmv

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/speciman/yakf...our/reentry.wmv

After much tomfoolery around the weir we headed back down collecting a few more golf balls on the way.

Zzippy was determined to take a full dunking himself and found a grass bank he could practice his seal launches from.

Out of nowhere a blonde (complete with short skirt :thumbs: ) and a man with video camera :yeah: turned up and all eyes were on Zzippy :2: . He had to do it. :D

preparelaunch.jpg

The first launch was not too hot. :schmoll::lol:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/speciman/yakf.../1st-launch.wmv (no sound)

But second time round he launched a bit higher and landed like a pro :yeah:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/speciman/yakf.../2nd-launch.wmv

And he caught a fish! This little fella was in the footwell after his bow had dived oh so deep :clap2:

fishinfootwell.jpg

Before heading back in Zzippy demonstrated that the Caper does have some barge in its genes and that its not only the X-Factor which you can stand up on.

standingonyak.jpg

--------------------------------------------

A good couple of hours on the water. The drysuit still works, Zzippys got a new way of launching and we've discovered a new method of catching fish. :)

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Fantastic that launch from the bank was something else

I have seen it done with a canoe, but never with a SOT .......... now I need more information

are you allowed to fish in the river for the trout

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

I'm not sure on the times for migratory fish like salmon, but during the coarse fishing season you can fish for trout there with the right licence I think. In our area, some parts of the Stour are controlled by private clubs (eg Christchurch Angling Club) and some stretches are free.

We spotted a bank on the way back at least twice as high. We plan to give that one a go next time. Oh what a bumpy ride what a bumpy ride ...... :D

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Good pictures Speciman :thumbs:

Helen just saw the Films and said we are both mad :lol::lol:

Just takes me back to the days when I was a kid and used to play in the river.Nothing much has changed :D

zzippy2.gif

Very nice, quick recovery, and you didn't blank, perfect day.

Now going back to the girl in the short skirt and the guy with the video camera out walking along the riverbank... it's got my brain working overtime :D

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

You two look like you had some fun.Nice seal launch Zzippy are you practicing for the Tout?Either of you up for a trip this weekend I know the Hampshire/Surrey possee are :clap2: looks like a nice day sat

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Thanks Richi

I doubt I can make it this weekend but should be be able to make a meet once I'm back from the skate trip.

If all goes to plan I'll have my new yak tomorrow and I will be rigging her over the next few days.

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

EXCELLENT write up guys and great pics . A top test for the kayaks and the paddlers by the look of it . It looked like a good few hours of fun was had. You can never have to many balls I say!

Does the water feel any warmer yet? the way the weather is at the moment I half expected to see iceberg in the background of one of the pics.

Chuggs