match anglers

maximo

It's a free country, each to thier own.

The top match anglers I've met are very good and catch fish when most blank. Most beach matches are held during daylight with no regard for tides or conditions, to winkle a fish or two out when fishing in flat calm and bright sun shine takes more than just luck.

No under sized fish are weighed in so whats the problem.

Theres the banter, a breakfast before and a pint after, no diferent than a charter party just more of them.

It would be a sad world if we all done the same thing.

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The original post stated :

"you might think youre a excellent angler and im sure many of you are,but do you think you could take on and beat some of the top match anglers,some of these guys can catch fish while all around struggle.

what do you think."

When you look at my statement on flounder matches you might understand why many of us disagree.

I was on a charter recently where I caught the two biggest smoothhounds, it did not maker me a better angler just a lucky one.

I know Cefyn Sidan from end to end and on a non pegged match know I could hold my own with the best. Peg the same beach and it would be down to luck of the draw.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Guest jay_con

Not necasserily so ken. Put some of the best anglers on a crap peg and they could still do very well where as you and I may fail miserably. I know some anglers who are that good, you at times think they cheat somehow. They have the knack to draw the fish. You may call it luck but the more you practice the luckier you will get.

Hello Ken,

Somebody who catches the most and the biggest on a regular basis can't be lucky all the time, I admit you can't help the size of fish that takes the bait, but if you catch plenty of fish then law of averages says some will be big fish.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Each to their own.

In the North East, we have our fair share of Open comps, mainly in winter, and for the most part, they seem to be a good excuse for lads (and a few hardy lasses) to get together, have a good days fishing and hopefully have a prize to show at the end of it all.

I fish all year round. Virtually everything I catch in the summer goes back, but in winter, where cod are the target fish, whether in competition or pleasure session, most sizable fish are kept to be eaten.

The only time I have seen large numbers of fish killed has been this winter, with the glut of whiting. It must be said though, that whiting very rarely survive being caught, so the logic of putting a dead fish back escapes me.

Getting back to match fishermen, I have had the pleasure of fishing beside Tony Anderson and Jim Dobie on occasions, two of the countries top men, and nicer blokes you couldn`t meet.

They make fishing look so easy, they DO catch more than most mere mortals, but both get great enjoyment from their sport, and are actually very laid back blokes.

bleedin' crabs.

That is not always correct Wurzle, I caught three smoothhounds a 4 to 5lb a 10lb and a 13lb

at least two of the other lads had four or five fish all around the 4 to 5lb mark.

I could bore you to death with examples which disprove the more you catch the ratio off big fish goes up theory.

The worse one was my brother Ray some forty years ago who birdnested landed forty feet out untangled the mess and reeled in a 5lb bass to win the comp and a new reel with a single very lucky fish.

Tony you couldn't get more laid back than the above.

One of the enjoyments of fishing is 99.9% of the people you meet are very nice guys, easy to get along with and enjoy what they do.

In general I would agree everyone to his own, but I must admit these flounder bashing comps and the other idiots who keep everything they land do upset me, it can only be discribe as tragic.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Guest STAN

south coastie:

south coastie:

as for jelousy you MUST BE JOKING down here we dont have to fish for under size stuff comps are specimin fishing there are no matches all the guys in my club would laugh you off the rocks you PRAT :D:D:D

so you kill all the mature breeding stock then! :(
did i post that no i did not all i kill i eat if you have a problem with that come knock my door i dare you!!

:D