Buzzers

chuby

Nobby,

Another trick to try is to stick a well 'ginked-up' hopper on the point, with a lightweight buzzer or two on the droppers, Degrease the leader if you are using nylon - if you use fluoro-carbon you just give it a couple of seconds and it sinks by itself. An ultra-slow retrieve is usually required, if you speed up too much it will probably pull the hopper under, and sometimes they nail that too. Your buzzers will fish just subsurface, with the hopper creating a small wake (a useful indicator as to where your flies are) - watch out for very violent takes!

This works well for me when the fish are dimpling - hope it works for you too.

Bill

Nobby, you could try a sparsley dressed black spider or williams favorite. grease down to within a foot of the fly and fish slowly. the hen hackle and the greased line slow down the sink rate and keep it near the top. This has worked for me in the past. The washing line method is probably the latest method to achieve fishing just subsurface - just replace help-ma-boab's hopper with a booby if you find the hopper gets waterlogged to soon. Good luck :)

Thanks you Jim, Bill & Frantic' for the advice.

I'm limited to just one fly (lake rules) so no dropper options!!

Is the cdc buzzer fished completely static?

To add to the original thread, I've caught on big buzzers through a hole in the ice at my local lake. Large claret skinny buzzer fished on long leader (20ft+) and allowed to touch the bottom once in a while. 2 (stock) brownies in the bright winter sun!!

I usually fish a CDC static but sometimes a gentle retrieve can provoke a take. Another good spider pattern to try subsurface is a black pennel.