Angling Trust Announces Restructuring

classic

angling biggest problem is us anglers

unite or get trampled on-simple as that

we all prefer to get trampled on-obviously

Very true mate.One of the many problems I see with the dream of "Angling Unity" is that there is no half sensible body to "unify" under! I wont say "I told you so" as its plain to see but the AT has come to absolutely nothing same as all their predecessors.

Untill some one gets together and forms a body that is genuinely for angling and not just another self advancement vehicle then I doubt it ever will happen.

My biggest gripe with all of these bodies is that they all claim to represent us but none of them ever contact us to ask our veiws/get our input, let us know what they are doing (if anything).Iknow I always bitch about this but its true! Jeeze surely they could contact people easily enough as after all we are all "registered" so to speak through our EA Rod Licences.

No its not the difficulty or even the expense they are simply happier telling us what to do or doing things "on our behalf"! After all we would just make it difficult.........................

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest challenge
Hello Steve

I think the problem is that somebody told them that there are 4 million anglers.

So how many are they and how much fish do they catch in a year?

if one group says that there aren’t that many and they catch bugger all compared to commercial fishermen, while another group says there are millions upon millions who’s catch helps the economy much more than that of the commercial fishermen, then who are you to believe?

At any negotiating table facts will always be more acceptable than assumptions, don’t you think?

So how many are they and how much fish do they catch in a year?

if one group says that there aren’t that many and they catch bugger all compared to commercial fishermen, while another group says there are millions upon millions who’s catch helps the economy much more than that of the commercial fishermen, then who are you to believe?

At any negotiating table facts will always be more acceptable than assumptions, don’t you think?

1.357 million rod licences sold last year, allowing for the people that bought two and those that don't buy one at all (to fish freshwater) I would say that was a fair estimate of anglers fishing freshwater.

I don't think commercial fishing's too much of a problem in freshwater, at least not on the rivers I fish :D

Sea anglers pose a different problem with estimates for obvious reasons............no licence required so estimates are precisely that. It's possibly based on the amount of money spent at angling centres?

A survey for The Welsh Assembly produced figures of 38 million pounds spent by sea anglers to catch 3 million pounds worth of fish (valued commercially)

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

A survey for The Welsh Assembly produced figures of 38 million pounds spent by sea anglers to catch 3 million pounds worth of fish (valued commercially)

With figures like that I would have thought it a pretty good bet that the future of sea angling (even without a licence!) will be pretty safe!

Ive never seen similar figures for coarse fishing but have over the years filled in plenty of surveys that would give this type of info.

Guest challenge
1.357 million rod licences sold last year, allowing for the people that bought two and those that don't buy one at all (to fish freshwater) I would say that was a fair estimate of anglers fishing freshwater.

I don't think commercial fishing's too much of a problem in freshwater, at least not on the rivers I fish :D

Sea anglers pose a different problem with estimates for obvious reasons............no licence required so estimates are precisely that. It's possibly based on the amount of money spent at angling centres?

Hi worms.

The figure for the amount of rod licences sold to freshwater anglers last year, is that the total amount sold in the UK?

regards.

Taken from the EA's website-

Angling is an inclusive sport and has high levels of participation. We sell about

1.3 million rod licences each year (not required by under 12s or by sea

anglers) and our data show that:

• in 2005 4.1 million people over 12 years old went fishing in freshwaters

and 1.5 million more people fished only in the sea*. As many people again

express an interest.

• each year we sell about 1.3 million freshwater rod-licences, raising £20m

in income to support the Environment Agency’s statutory work for fisheries.

Of these:

• Over 110,000 are senior (>65) concessionary licences

• Over 120,000 are junior licences (12-16 years) – 40,000 also benefit

from free licences at events

• 71,000 are sold to women (sales of junior licences to girls has risen by

45% in the last 5 years)

• 39,000 licences are bought by people with an eligible disability

* NB: these figures differ significantly from the Sport England Active People

Survey. This is explained by the specific focus of that survey on moderate to

vigorous exercise and the timescale for participation.

That's the total number sold, as far as I understand. But, a good percentage of those are daily and weekly licences, so the total number of reglar freshwater anglers will be considerably lower than the 1.3 million, or thereabouts.

I would imagine that there are less sea anglers.

The truth is, for all the assumptions and estimates, no one knows how many sea anglers there are. Look at the results of surveys done by the EA, English Nature, Drew, Sport England, etc, and see how the numbers vary!

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Hi worms.

The figure for the amount of rod licences sold to freshwater anglers last year, is that the total amount sold in the UK?

regards.

Good point, I forgot, Scotland don't use a licence system so it's England and Wales only!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

No, mostly it's the water being taken that causes problems (with what's put in the water a close second).

Then again people taking fish is a growing problem in some areas ( http://www.expressandstar.com/2009/08/07/f...llegal-anglers/ )

Question regarding full season rod licences: http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id=20...1727#g276773.q0

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Guest challenge
No, mostly it's the water being taken that causes problems (with what's put in the water a close second).

Then again people taking fish is a growing problem in some areas ( http://www.expressandstar.com/2009/08/07/f...llegal-anglers/ )

Question regarding full season rod licences: http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id=20...1727#g276773.q0

thanks leon