9 replies to this topic

#1 Phone

Phone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,020 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:42 PM

All,

I don't know how far behind I am (probably a looong way) but I handled one of these (5wt) today.  Quite different

http://www.orvis.com...Tech_Manual.pdf

Phone

#2 Guest_bluedun_*

Guest_bluedun_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:12 PM

I haven't tried the latest Helios but I found the previous one rather too fast - decidedly stiff in the lower weights. I've tried a selection of Orvis rods together before. I liked the Clearwater II in 5 and 6. Sometimes the cheaper rods outdo the top of the range. Haven't cast the latest version though.

#3 Vagabond

Vagabond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,988 posts
  • Interests:Angling, Ichthyology

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:49 PM

Still using split-bamboo for #7 or less.  Many were already old rods when I acquired them fifty years ago.

Saw a fellow syndicate member bust a carbon rod he paid over £700 for.   The trouble with these mass-produced carbon and resin rods is they won't stand a collision with a lead-headed nymph if the caster is careless enough to allow it.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .
Certhia's world species - 215
Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato
...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

#4 Phone

Phone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,020 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:39 AM

Vagabond,

The owner of the rod I was "playing" with had a similar comment.  They won't stand up to any sort of ballistic impact (or something similar).

My experience with fragile antique bamboo is that I pay way to much attention to the care and treatment of the rod to have fun fishing.  I am really a slob when it comes to care and maintenance of rods and reels.  My attire is usually equally disgusting.

Phone

#5 Vagabond

Vagabond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,988 posts
  • Interests:Angling, Ichthyology

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:05 PM

fragile antique bamboo

Antique, I grant you, but compared to any other material (apart from the far-too-clumsy solid glass) split-bamboo is far from "fragile"

Many of my split bamboos are even older than I am, and still going strong. They will certainly last me out.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .
Certhia's world species - 215
Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato
...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

#6 Phone

Phone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,020 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:10 PM

Vagabond,

I guess "fragile" is the wrong word.  My lack of knowledge and confidence is the more likely culprit.  (they look and feel fragile to me).

Phone

#7 Guest_bluedun_*

Guest_bluedun_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:59 AM

Yes, carbon is very strong longitudinally, but easily crushed laterally. I wouldn't risk a cane rod for myself. I'd be worried of putting a set in it snatching at a snagged fly - bad habits I'm afraid. Otherwise I might be tempted.

#8 Dave-350z

Dave-350z

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:17 AM

I am looking at an Orvis T3 Rod #5 as my first rod, would anyone rate this rod? I thin kits one of their older models, but I am on a budget atm.

#9 Phone

Phone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,020 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:21 PM

Dave -3,

Google "review orvis t3"  There's a ton of stuff.

Phone

#10 Guest_bluedun_*

Guest_bluedun_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

I am looking at an Orvis T3 Rod #5 as my first rod, would anyone rate this rod? I thin kits one of their older models, but I am on a budget atm.

They're okay, but you might like to look at the Clearwaters. I've always been quite impressed with them, though it depends on the line weight. I found the 5 and 6 of the Clearwater II pretty good. The III is out now; haven't tried that. Might be cheaper than a T3 (but presumably you're looking at 2nd hand - Orvis discontinued them).