11 Whitby Fishermen in court for 58 breaches of fishery rules.

Guest jay_con

This is the problem Ken, Quota buying, selling,and leasing is big business, banks, fishermens PO's, councils like Shetland and fishermen them selves have investrd in quotas.

they stand to loose a lot of money if the system was scrapped.

A small inshore trawler can fish up to the beach.

bigger boats have to stay out side 3 miles, even bigger boats 12 miles.

I think local bylaws can inforce different regulations.

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jay_con

"@Sping@ Why would fishermen alter nets to catch undersized fish? can't you give us any credit at all."

You must think we came down in the last shower wurzel. Perhaps not undersized fish wurzel. But if the trawl size was ever designed to allow immature fish to escape as steve suggests then as you well know there are ways to ensure you catch the smaller fish as well - We have discussed this practice before in this very forum, although you would not accept that Brittish boats actually utilise this practice.

Amongst those undersized fish will be plenty that are bang on the mark and im sure they will be brought ashore and exchanged for cash. It appears anything is acceptable after all you are just trying to make a living, right?

Guest jay_con

Big Cod and his anglers can and do catch and land more cod than I can legaly per month.

This is an absolutely stupid situation. I am apalled at the tiny amount of quota given to boats which could never cause the damage that the larger ones have.

• 5 years later...