Anchor or Milk carton???

Zzippy

Here is details /w pictures of the way a Texas Yak angler rigs his drift sock to a Tarpon 140.

And another picture of a drift sock that may help you get a feel for how they operate.

an-DRIFT_SOCK.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres what I use, the missus hasnt missed em yet, I must say neither do I

bloomers.jpg

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

For secure anchoring try 3x the depth of water in calm sea and as much as 5x the depth of water for rough seas - cable length I am on about. Someone said they read 1.5x is sufficient. Bloody yanks, what do they know!! They have different conditions to us and so can ossibly get away with 1.5x in their inland waterway conditions of the ICW. In our exposed conditions and with the tide run we get use at least 3x depth - it doesn't hurt to have more anchor warp than you need - and use a plastic milk bottle (4litre) as a dan buoy on the end, just in case! Then, if you have to jettison the anchor you can always come back and retrieve it - better to be able to throw the whole lot overboard than get pulled under.

Personally, I use a fathom of 1/2" chain as my anchor - flexible so it moulds to the ground and it doesn't get snagged either. On clean ground it can cause a slow drag, but that is an advantage in my book.

TTFN,

Simon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Bloody Yanks what do they Know.

Simon.....Simon......The Bloody Yanks Know a damn site more about this game than we do at the momment. :)

Granted we need to think for ourselves on some things, because the conditions are different to ours,.....I suppose the biggest difference being.....they actually have fish to catch. :D

Wait till Newt sees your comment, and our increasing number of American visitors.......go get your guns Simon :D:P

YY - I tend to go along with Simon on the scope of the anchor line. More line and you can use a lighter hook. With a Yak, that seems like a worthwhile idea.

Obviously the shape and weight of your anchor will make a difference but personally, I'd feel more comfortable if I had way too much line available rather than too little. I can always just use part of it.

However, I gotta wonder about the 'Someone said they read 1.5x is sufficient'. What context? I can't imagine anyone suggesting that for the bridge area where Salar & I fished. I can imagine someone suggesting that for the shallow, protected sandy flats.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Ok flak jackets off, that was a close call Simon (puts away wooden spoon)

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

Hi Newt.

You made reference to the bridge you and Salar fished.

If I remember rightly, you were in some fast moving water there.

We have said before, that anchoring in fast moving water while fishing from a Kayak is a definate NO NO.

Anchoring should only be done in fairly calm, still, or slow moving water.

On a personal note, I let the cord out about 3x the depth of the water Im fishing in, when fishing shallow water about 20/30ft deep, I let out 60/90 ft of cord.

Dont need that much sometimes.

When fishing deeper water, it will be trial and error to get it right.

The tide, wind, sea state all come into it.

What I would say is, use the anchor that best suits the ground your fishing on.

If your fishing unfamiliar ground then trial and error is the only way.

It dosnt take a lot to stop a Kayak, but again, the conditions will govern this.

On the Anchor/anchors I use, I have a length of chain about 18ins long, this helps a great deal with the Anchor holding.

I attach the cord to the chain, then attach the chain to the top of the anchor using a small shackle through the eye.

I then pass the chain down the length of the anchor shaft, and tie it off to the top of the shaft through the eye, using a light wieght cable tie.

Should the anchor get stuck, you can snatch the cord, breaking the cable tie, which means you lift the anchor from the top, closing the tiegns.

Hope that makes sense :D

If not let me know and Ill take some pics and put them up, to show what I mean.

Whew!!! :D

yy :)