new guys seeks advice before i go drown meself :D

Hungry Fisherman

HF

It looks like you got a good deal with that lot.

i could do with a pair of paddling trousers.Do they have a dry seal around the waist and ankles.How much did they cost and what make are they.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there called splash pants by immersion research

have neoprene ankles and waist i went for neoprene instead of the rubber seals cos of my experience with wearing a dry suit while scuba diving i hate the way the rubber chaffs etc and pulls hairs and stuff lol they was around90 quid i think i dont have an itemised bill :/ and the bits of paper crapping on about the layers membranes and breathable materials are all mixed up lol

beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

KAYAK :ok scupper pro (green)

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod

did me first trip today took me yak and family to folkstone i parked just right of the harbour if your looking at the sea and had a mare getting the yak to the sea across the shingle found it easier without the yak wheels crap things they are :/

any way

spent 4 hours there first 20 mins testing the yak see if it was waterproof etc got in out a few times paddled out then back etc etc

took me rods and gear out put macky feathers on one rod when i was about 50 yards of the beach was going to troll em to deeper water and before they hit the bottom got a small pollack so that christened the boat

went about 200 yards out dropped a bait of the bottom and after a few mins had an almighty pull i heard it before i saw it lol the lines tensioning and could see that something was trying to run with the bait of a inch of mackerel with a tiger prawn on top but what ever it was let go :/ was enuff to keep be hyped all day ended up a lil further away about a mile i think got carried away with meself and got lots of mackerel saved one for bait kept about 14 for food etc let the rest go didnt have an anchor so i drifted down the beach a fair bit spent about 30 mins paddling back to square one lol

oh yes broke one of me new rods the one with the bait on snagged on the bottom so i tried tugging it of and it broke first time that happened to me :( gonna take it back to shop see if i can get it replaced any way thats me first trip done may go do it again at the weekend :)

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod

Sounds like an excellent first trip. Good for you.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Well done HF,

Good first trip-that's the rest of your summer sorted then!!

I read an interesting thread somewhere else on releasing mackeral as you did and I have done before,and the concensus of opinion was that they do not survive once they've been handled!

If you can shake them of the hook then they should be ok.Otherwise keep them for the freezer,

Cheers Jon

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

Congratulations on your maiden voyage, and christened with fish too :)

Interesting that you had problems with your yak trolley, which type did you buy?

Shame about the rod, but it raises a safety point worth keeping in mind when drifting ..... keep your drag set light, especially if using braid and with the rod mounted in a holder. You can get into difficulty quickly with a snagged line under pressure while drifting in a yak.

Hi Hungry well done on your first trip :) next you will drilling holes in your yak for your rod which can be scary at first i'm off to Folkestone the at the weekend I have been told by the local tackle shop of a reef about mile offshore weather permitting I'll give a go. I also picked up an Anchor yesterday fingers crossed I might have it rigged up for the weekend? if you fancy a paddle give us shout .

i actually had the rod in me hand when it snapped i was trying to tug it out of the snag :/ the other one of the pair is fine in fact it took a lot more abuse and still in the correct amount of pieces

what day at the week end ya thinking of going essex? i think ill be introducing my family [parents] and friends to yal fishing lol going brighton to do a hire day some one takes us all to a point somewhere and do some mackerel fishing in there hire yaks

im free sunday but have to be home by 7 at latest got work :/

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod

well got myself an anchor today and 50 metres of braid rope about 6 mmm at 25p a meter a metre of chain two clips one for front of yak one for back and ten metres a slightly thicker rope for the pulley system and a lil pulley thing for the anchors rope

bought a fishfinder as well a cuda 128 for £65

new :D seemed like a good deal to me oh and a bass bag plus i got me brocken rod replaced

the rods i use are a 4 peice stalker rod meant for pike bass etc made by the shop themselves shop names keswalls angling based in woodford bridge area

just got to get a 12v bike battery now ill use me step dads charger till i can a afford one

oh yes got some toby lures and power bait ones as well some power bait 2 inch peeler imitators and some redwolf lures they seamed heavy enuff to use as a weight for mackerel feathers plus theres a good size for potential bass etc :D

im just hesitant on fixing the transponder to me yak

was thinking of attaching a small dog chew ring with 4 screws in itto hold the elastic cord and then epoxing it to hull of the yak filling centres with vaseline for the transponder to sit in and clipping the transponder inplace with a similar cord used for clipping your paddle on the side of the yak that way i can adjust it and use it in other yaks :D

will fit the fishfinder and battery to a board of some kind varnished to protect it and clip the said board down with the prowelers front hatch clips i can then feed the transponder wire via the neoprene skirt into the fishfinder setup :D ill just need to buy a dog ring for every kayak i may be using like me stepdads as he is interested in doing kayaking for the mackerel

that remnds me i have a trip planned with a brightonkayak club with me my parents and two friends will have another three adults on the beach with 4 children :D so should be a good day

does any one know if its possible to catch sandeel of bournemouth beach?

[ 04. August 2005, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: Hungry Fisherman ]

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod

If you run a cable under the neoprene cover you might find that it will become a leak, especially if you flip. Last thing you want is a yak full of water. I considered doing it, rather than drilling holes, but at least with a hole you can properly seal it and it won't leak a drop. If the neoprene cover slips off a bit because of the cable it'll leak a whole lot more than a drop or two!

If you strap the fishfinder on top of the hatch I think you'll find it set too far away to see properly or to reach to adjust the settings, unless you have the eyes of a hawk and the arms of a gibbon :)