How big do Porgies grow?

darnsarf

Sometimes its good not to live in warm waters.

http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/news/6682271/detail.html

Heres another interesting story. Puts a double cod in perspective. This is a pic taken from a kayak. He saw 5 Orcas approaching so what do you do in a situation like that. Yep, you jump in to get your camera from the front hatch! I thought I was mad. Awesome experience though.

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/3370/orca82ejpg5nc.jpg

http://img286.imageshack.us/img286/9900/orca72ejpg2ww.jpg

Edited by darnsarf

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All you potential Porgie hunters......have a read :blink:

http://www.worldseafishing.com/boats/begginer_shark.shtml

Then wonder if you have the strength, skill, kayak handling skills, time on the water in a kayak to take on such an opponent in thier arena, under thier terms.........hmmmmm :headhurt::lol::lol:

Edited by Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Hi Yakity,

I read that the other day and having seen what Porgies can do at close hand it does make you realise what you are up against :headhurt:

Anyone who thinks that they're get one aboard a yak needs their bumps feeling. The only way to get one would probably mean having to kill the beast and even then you'll probably be 5 miles away from where you hooked it. If you were to hook one to release alongside then ordinary wirecutters that we use on the Tope traces aren't going to be much use and boltcroppers are the order of the day, not easy single handed, buddied up maybe.

Food for thought though :blink:

Stuart.

JUst for the record the Aussie wasnt fishing when the orcas appeared. He had left his rods at home and was out for a recreational paddle. Wow imagine that in the Solent.

Ref the Porbeagles, great article, think I will start on Smoothies, move on to Tope and then with the help of a mother boat and any God thats willing to listen consider the big Porgie.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Hi Nifty.

Its there to be done alright.

But the crew doing the hunting need to sit around a table...Sober....and go through the proceedure with a fine toothed comb. :blink:

What would you say should be the minimum requirements to go ahead, how many in the party, type of Kayak, gear etc, Mother boat ??

I can feel another NANNY tag comming on :lol::lol::P

Hi Darnsarf.

Now that sounds like a plan to me too :lol::lol::lol:

Looking forward to hearing Simons thoughts on the porgie trip. Aren't there some inshore marks in the south west where the majority of porbeagle shark caught are of no huge size? That could be the best place to start. Lets face it though catching a large tope from a kayak is a big challenge in itself. When I caught the largest tope of my catch last year it certainly made me 'think' when I brought it by the side of the kayak.. and they can get over twice that size.... :headhurt::2:

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

I'll go along to take some pictures and catch the bait ----------the porgie might break my new Shimano baitrunner :D

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Hi Bill,

I've been thinking about this quite a bit just lately, and I know where your coming from.

I don't think there is a yak available that is designed for Porgie fishing, so going with what we have, If I were to try for one then it would be at anchor with 30lb class gear, rubby dubby bag on a weak link :) and standard 200-300lb wire( about 7ft long) to 10ft of 120lb mono rubbing trace, size 10/0 o/shaughnessy hook with the barb filed off. Bait would be whole Mackerel(maybe two) suspended under a Balloon set to fish just off bottom and drifted away from the yak as far as possible within sight.

If the impossible were to happen and one was hooked up, then obviously I would try to play it for as long as possible from my position at anchor but if there was a danger of running out of line, then I would have the anchor buoyed off on a quick release and go for a ride, providing I had one companion with me to tag along to help out in case of either emergency, or to help with unhooking and releasing.

I don't think there is any realistic chance of getting one aboard above 50lb, so my buddy would have to be on hand to help cut the trace.

Like I say, I have been giving this a lot of thought and untril it happens, who knows what the outcome will be, but I'm sure someone is going to find out sooner or later. :)

Stuart.

Hi Simon,

Where we caught our Tope last year is good Porbeagle ground with a comparatively low average size of fish. The largest I know of is around 200lb but the average is less than half that. It's not on a par with the north Cornwall/ Scottish grounds for BIG fish, though you never know!!!!

Stuart.