How big do Porgies grow?

darnsarf

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HaHaHaHa :thumbs:

Now is anyone up for it? Starvin, it is going to happen, and just like this time last year when one or two were questioning whether catching Tope on the yak was feasible, then this years target for me at least is a Porbeagle. If it happens, GREAT, if it doesn't it won't be through lack of trying.

nifty. :)

Nifty is obviously nuts and should fit in with the Solent crew.
Has he done his two mile kayak yomp yet? :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Great advice Mike. Your advice could be worth a mint given your experience. This thread is really wetting my appetite.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Excuse me butting in lads, I've been following this thread with amazement.

This might sound a stupid question to you lot but, if a big fish runs at 90deg to the kayak, how do you apply pressure without tipping over?

You'll have to make allowences for a mere coarse angler. :)

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Excuse me butting in lads, I've been following this thread with amazement.

This might sound a stupid question to you lot but, if a big fish runs at 90deg to the kayak, how do you apply pressure without tipping over?

You'll have to make allowences for a mere coarse angler. :)

Not one of the crew yet - but I reckon the yak will turn on its mooring if anchored - or you go for a tow if not.

I guess light drag until you are facing the right way, reel in so the fish is under you maybe then rack up the drag ?

I expect someone who actually knows will now correct me :rolleyes:

Edited by phooey

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard

probably

It's not a stupid question Gozzer and it requires a bit of thought to answer.

My thoughts: a kayak won't tip over when this happens due to a combination of factors. First is the overall stability of the kayak.. sit on tops are far more stable than what perhaps many non paddlers realise. When a big fish runs you would naturally correct your balance of body weight.. lean back a bit away from the force (such as when we get an anchor or rig snagged and apply a bit of pressure to try and release it). You would also keep the rod tip near the bow of the yak encouraging the yak to turn faster. If a big fish takes your bait and heads off in a 90 degree direction to your yak the vertical angle is not 0 degrees. ie the fish is not on the surface its under water so its pull on the yak may not be as harse.

I agree with Phooey, & providing you balance yourself whilst being pulled and keep the rod tip away from the center of the yak, you would just turn in the direction of the fish and be taken on a sleigh ride whose speed is limited by the hull speed of the yak (unless the fish is in fact a submarine - if thats the case you're going down fast :help: and you would need to cut your line or let go of your rod :yeah: ).

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Cheers lads, sounds complicated, but I think I understood.

I think I'd better stick to solid ground for my fish, It don't move as much. :D

Thanks again, John

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Ahh come on Gozzer. You know you want to try it.

Even if you dont like the taste of salt imagine a 30lb pike! :fish::clap2:

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)