back leads

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In which case how can you differenchiate between a line bite and a take? Do they still rip off with it or are takes much slower?

Without wishing to sound faceteous, it's like anything, it comes with practice. Line bites are just normally knocks and pulls although one of the points of slack lines is to avoid line bites. Runs should be pretty obvious.

Rob.

No need to think to much, it is all very simple....semi fixed heavy lead acts as a bolt rig by setting the hook point as the fish moves away with the hook in it's mouth....that's it....that is what a bolt rig is.

The single most effective rig for almost all types of bottom fishing...combined with the hair rig/hook out rig it is devastatingly effective.

If you start to alter the basic premise by allowing the fish to move the line without moving the lead (running rig) then you lose the effectiveness of the bolt/semifixed rig.

As we are talking carp fishing here, there is probably no need to ever deviate from a semi fixed hair rig setup. Vary the hook length if you wish (not to long or the fish may suss something is wrong and spit the hook out) play about with anti eject setups, but keep the basic setup which will hook almost every fish that takes the hook into it's mouth.

I have to comment here, that I am amazed at the number of modern carpers who fail to grasp the simple basic idea of the semi fixed/bolt rig.

Den

My feeling for what it is worth here, is firstly the force that a carp ejects with, the hook point is going to prick it anyway. The weight of the line is heavy enough to set the hook and using a fee running weight will not matter.

also the alarms indicate much sooner.

not meaning to turn this into question time but im intrigued and will try it out next time im at my local 'runs' water, so last question for now, what weight of lead do you use with your free running rigs?

thanks.

steve.

Don't for one minute think that semi fixed bolt rigs will result in a run everytime a Carp picks up your bait, no matter how good you are it simply doesn't happen.

I've watched Carp (& other species) pick up rigs & drop them so often, that you begin to wonder just how many times you've had a pick up before you finally get a run! One of the reasons I use a running rig for a lot of my fishing is that far more info comes your way in terms of indication than you ever get with a semi fixed rig. Another reason is bolt rigs are by far the most common of rigs in use & therefore the most familiar rig to be sussed.

One other advantage of a running rig, is the fact that if you use it with real delicacy & a longish hair, you get a much greater ratio of slow runs ( in fact more trundles than runs). Now, screaming I'm off to the horizon runs, are great in open water but not so good in more snaggy conditions, run rigs help enormously in those situations.

Don't get me wrong, bolt rigs have their place but they're tremendously overused.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

borntofish - thanks for the email and great to know that you are still around. (note: old friend from Carp.net where Budgie and Hoppy4 were also posting years ago before I ever found AN)

One thing I'd suggest with your fishing just below a dam is to try pieces of cut bait on your rig. You will get other fish but carp do like it fine and if your dams are hydroelectric like most of ours (I think they are) the fish will be very accustomed to feeding on pieces chopped up by the turbines.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Rob, not wishing to labour a point, but you stated that 4oz leads weigh "next to nothing" in water....I tied a 4oz weight to a length of line and hung it on my scales (digital) and it registered 4oz !

I lowered it into the lake and it still weighed 4oz!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Rob, not wishing to labour a point, but you stated that 4oz leads weigh "next to nothing" in water....I tied a 4oz weight to a length of line and hung it on my scales (digital) and it registered 4oz !

I lowered it into the lake and it still weighed 4oz!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Den

Oh well, since it's not really 'on topic' we'll leave it as is.

Rob.

borntofish - thanks for the email and great to know that you are still around. (note: old friend from Carp.net where Budgie and Hoppy4 were also posting years ago before I ever found AN)

One thing I'd suggest with your fishing just below a dam is to try pieces of cut bait on your rig. You will get other fish but carp do like it fine and if your dams are hydroelectric like most of ours (I think they are) the fish will be very accustomed to feeding on pieces chopped up by the turbines.

newt,

The dams I am fishing are all resavoirs, but yes its an idea.

I have just started to do competition fishing again, so i am targeting smaller fish this season. Also fishing a lot closer, the casting has been a pain but slowly getting up to speed again, man do you get spoilt using a canoe.

Born to fish