Greys Beachcaster rod advice

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BoldBear

BoldBear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Golf and collecting Fishing Tackle and books.

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:11 PM

I am a coarse angler who has decided to venture onto the dark side and start doing some fishing from the beach (next to where I have just bought a static caravan) LOL. But knowing very little about beach casting rods I was hoping for a little help.

I know that Greys make decent coarse and fly rods but can anyone tell me what the entry level 'Greys 13ft beachcaster rods' are like? I was looking at the basic £109 rod; are Greys beachcasters OK? Or should I look at another rod manufacturer?

Thanks in advance

Keith

Edited by BoldBear, 27 February 2015 - 10:24 AM.

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

#2 JV44

JV44

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts
  • Interests:Fishing ,boating and drinking

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:20 PM

Bold bear try the world sea fishing forum should get a wealth of advice there if no one here can help

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh:  :icecream:

#3 BoldBear

BoldBear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:46 PM

Ok thanks JV

Edited by BoldBear, 20 January 2015 - 06:55 PM.

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

#4 Alan Roe

Alan Roe

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts
  • Location:Englishman by Birth Lancastrian by the Grace of God
  • Interests:Angling photography cooking good wine preferably red

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:40 PM

Bold bear the topic is simply too big to reply in a simple forum shout it all depends on where you are planning to go and what you  want to achieve dropm me a pm and I will give you my mobi number for a chat and  I can guide you through some of it easily  enough.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical
minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd
by the clean end"
Cheers
Alan

#5 Andrew

Andrew

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 05:59 PM

What marks do you intend to fish,

Rocky

Rough bottom

Sandy bottom

Bearing in mind Greys rod carry a life time gaurantee. If its just a dabble, why buy an expensive rod. Greys rods IMHO are a class product. But thats my personal choice.

Why not pop into the local tackle shop and try one out, feel it and get the " feel of it " to see if it suits you. Personally i have always used Century rods, or Zziplex, both excellent rods, but can be pricey.

Greys GRX-S SHORE ROD Try the link, rod for £98.99 until the end of the month

21bkqwg.jpg

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

#6 BoldBear

BoldBear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 12:29 PM

What marks do you intend to fish,
Rocky
Rough bottom
Sandy bottom

Bearing in mind Greys rod carry a life time gaurantee. If its just a dabble, why buy an expensive rod. Greys rods IMHO are a class product. But thats my personal choice.
Why not pop into the local tackle shop and try one out, feel it and get the " feel of it " to see if it suits you. Personally i have always used Century rods, or Zziplex, both excellent rods, but can be pricey.

Greys GRX-S SHORE ROD Try the link, rod for £98.99 until the end of the month

Hi Andrew,

The beach is sand and shingle between some large man made rocky outcrops on a fairly steep and deepish beach. I heard from a local that there are quite a lot of Bass and other fish caught close to the rocks so very long casts are not really needed.
This stretch is also known for Skate & Dogfish which are very occasionally hooked from the beach.

Since I posted asking for advice on Rods; the wife had already ordered a couple of rods for my son and I without telling us; because she wanted it to be a surprise; and she ordered us a pair of Greys GRX-S Shore rods LOL..

Keith

Edited by BoldBear, 25 January 2015 - 04:00 PM.

#7 Andrew

Andrew

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:38 PM

Good choice, nice for Bassing from the beach.

Have fun, but most of all BE SAFE.

Have a look online for some good bass advise. Ragworm baits, Bass seem to love em.

Edited by Andrew, 29 January 2015 - 07:41 PM.

21bkqwg.jpg

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

#8 BoldBear

BoldBear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:59 AM

Thanks Andrew

#9 Andrew

Andrew

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:29 PM

No problem, keep us informed how you get on.

21bkqwg.jpg