Wasps grubs / nest and storage

philocalist

Looking forward to a windfall tomorrow of some gifted wasps nests / grubs - years since I used them much and at that stage never had to do anything apart from stick 'em on a hook.
Whats the best way forwards with handling / storage etc?
Thanks

Just wrap the cakes individually in newspaper & Freeze them.

It doesn't kill the Grubs - in fact you get them hatching out on the bank when thawed.

Stab out any hatching wasps with a darning needle as you go. They crawl out of the cell still soft & wet for a while & need to dry off before they can take flight & do you any harm. (You've a good window in which to "Do 'Em")

Can also fish a piece of wasp cake on a large hook (even if only a couple of Grubs are in - or even none) Say a size 4 or 6.hook with a bomb. Or down the edge - with an overdepth, held back float.

This is where a large Porcupine comes into its own!!

The cake is sweet just on its own & catches. (Big gobbed Chub that is) So Don't throw the empty cake away.

Stick the hook through the thin paper side & back through the thicker cardboardy side so it lays at 90 deg' to the Line.

Size of a matchbox is about right.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Depends if its a good one with a moist low vac setting ?

Brilliant things vacuum sealers .

Chesters vacuum sealer top tip ,sort out your tax returns ,utility bills etc into 5 year bundles and vacuum seal them and chuck them in the loft ,believe me you may need them .

If you put something fragile in them put in a moisture bag and just seal the bag it will be safe for decades

Watch out for cheap bags they will seal but may not vacuum ,you can also reseal most bags that were heat sealed new

If you try to vacuum pack fish dry them in towling first then use the moist setting if you just try full suck liquid gets sucked out which stops it sealing and it makes the machine pong! (experience talking)

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson