Lobster Pot Update

Salar

:D:D:D:D:D lol.lol.lol.lol. I think that was brilliant imagination of someone puting the seagull with a jumper on in his pots, we put four pots out last year in the boat we had a flag on a bouy, but someone kept pulling our pots, so now we don't bother we just swap our mackerel to our mate who has loads of pots for lobsters and crab. saves all the hard work. Nice one Salar on your catch I did tell you to make sure you weighed it down Posted Image Blackvelvet

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pot's gone.

Either someone has nicked it (effin heavy - good luck to them) or more likely some clown cut the buoy rope with a prop.

Plan B is to obtain one of those folding pots when I'm over in NC in July. I don't think I'll be making another pot like the first one, not only is it very heavy to haul without a pot-hauler, its also a pain to store as the marina insists all belongings are kept in the boat not on walkways. The good thing is - I have my two lobsters, and I have learnt a lot about pots in the process!

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

never in this world nicked your pot, do a bit of beach combing you might find an old one on the beach that has been washed ashore in a rough sea, might just need a bit of love and tender care, now that you know a bit about pots.

Blackvelvet

salar - not sure what the local shops carry. You might be best off ordering online with a ship-to address of the place you'll be staying.

If you'd like I can check on local availibility for you although in this case, 'local' will probably be down around Nags Head so a few miles from where you'll be staying.

Take a look at the one shown Here.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Salar, I assume your 'buoy' was something more visable than the milk containers the potters use off Mudeford?

Did you get a good GPS fix on it - if so let a local diver know & you'l get it back for a few pints - ther'e always after something to 'find' (did it for an anchor of mine I had to cut when snaged)

If it's gone you'l know the local 'potter mafia' have got you marked!

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Toggle,

The fis was on the first drop, the third drop was within easy eyesight but not accurately fixed. The buoy was probably my undoing, all the other pots were marked with black 4 litre oil containers, mine was an orange mooring buoy I salvaged so looked a bit different.

Newt,

Thanks for the link. If you dont think there will be a good chandlers in Duck I'll have to oraganise a big shipment by mail order as I have a long shopping list saved up!

Salar:

Hi mate, creap creap, :D on the subject of pots you posted earlier that you had a drawing and if anyone wanted a copy etc. We have just checked the inventor of the boat and have about 2 miles of rope that is just waiting for pots to be hung from.

If you could email a detailed drawing it would be appreciated.

The best news is that the divers are scared of the massive crabs and lobsters on the wrecks and NO ONE fishes for them :D

Cheers.

Alan

[ 05. June 2004, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: Alan Taylor ]

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Salar:

Thanks for the link. If you don't think there will be a good chandlers in Duck I'll have to organize a big shipment by mail order as I have a long shopping list saved up!

Maybe not. You should be able to get most things locally (or the drive down the banks from Duck to Nags Head isn't far). But lobster is mostly further north (except for the clawless ones in the Caribbean). Crab pots are readily available but really not sure about lobster ones. I gather the needed opening is a little different.

Otherwise, the sorts of things you'd expect to find in an area with lots of charter boats for sports fishing and some commercial fishing boats as well should be easy to find. If you email me a copy of your list I can make sure what is available locally and what you'd want to order and have sent to Duck.

Posted Image

[ 05. June 2004, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Alan,

You got mail....

If anyone else wants the description and photo you are welcome - just mail me.

Cheers

I can see a little of the thinking behind trying to restrict 'hobby fishers' if one story I heard some time ago is typical.

There have allways been one or two full-time potters around Portland and there are a lot of part-timers who are mainly seasonal.

Some years ago I heard one of the full-timers moaning about the part-timers.

In the early part of the year, when he was the only one working on his patch, he reckoned he was throwing back the same undersized crabs and lobsters day after day.

As soon as the days got longer and the part-times started, the number of undersized crabs and lobsters that he caught, dropped right off!!

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net