Rod choice

Fin-S

Hi All,

One of our most productive offshore techniques here in Cape Town is spinning for albacore (long fin tuna) and yellowtail. The former are normally spun for when you have them under the boat in the chum line, and the yellowtail by casting ahead of a feeding shoal. The problem is the lures / spinners weigh between 1 - 4 oz, are fished on 30lb line to a quarry between 15 - 60lb, and the cast often needs to be 50m plus. We normally use a 7'6" - 8' rod, 12 - 30lb test, with a decent spinning reel (9000/SL50) in the reel up position. Unfortunately I can no longer find such a rod locally, as all the South African rods are reel down and I have enough problems stopping birds nests with my good hand! Are there any strong uptiders around that would fit the criteria, or any other solution that may work? The rods are used for charter purposes so need to be good quality and price is not really a criteria.

Thanks in advance,

FS

Conversation is the forerunner to conservation.

Use 60-80lb braid for a start to increase your casting distance and fun. Perhaps a long-distance carp/catfish rod would be an option if casting is a big priority, although a 12ft rod is unwieldy on a boat. As far as uptiders go, Shakespeare ugly-stiks are really tough due to the glass tip. Perhaps it would be best for you to get sponsored by a tackle company?

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

Thanks guys,

Good idea re the braid, will give it a go. I think a longer rod will be a disadvantage due to the lack of lifting power, but will have a look at the Ugly Stiks.

Perhaps it would be best for you to get sponsored by a tackle company?

Yeah, but Shimano is taken, Penn are not keen and we tried Okuma but honestly the kit was c..p. Will give Daiwa a shout though.

Thanks for the help.

Conversation is the forerunner to conservation.

Hi fin-s. I have alot of south african contacts due to my dad bieng one :rolleyes: Ive heard great stories of the fishing him and mates have had of durbans beaches and piers, and i know what you mean about down the but rods over there, I have an "assassin"

Not really able to give advice on the rod thogh

Tight Lines

Shaun

Hi Fin-s, Dont know how easy it will be for you to get them over to you but the Conoflex Demon uptiders sound up to the job. I have a pair and have caught Tope up to 48lb on them no problems. they are 9ft 8in uptide rods, a 1oz spinner may be a little light for them though, 4oz ok. If you are getting frap ups on mono dont try braid as its lower diamiter means with each revalution of the spool it lets off a longer lenth of line than the thiker mono. SLOW LIGHT SPINNER, FAST SPOOL, LOADS OF LINE= OVER RUN. Sounds great fishing all the best to you all Ryan.