Spinning for Bass

Dave Powell

spasor - the b/s is higher than I am likely to need but the diameter is nice to work with. The 30lb is about like 8lb mono except not as stiff and no memory. 50lb is about like 12lb mono.

So when you fish with your 14lb line, it will feel heavier/stiffer to you than my braid does to me.

As noted, I don't expect to ever have a fish break a decent line of over about 8 lb b/s when I'm playing said fish in open water. After that it's mainly a matter of how the line behaves and that I won't lose nearly as many lures to snags on the higher b/s line.

I do fish mono on occasion in 14lb or 17lb. I keep one long e-glass/graphite composite rod ( well, US long, so about 8 ft :D ) set up that way for fishing crank baits. There is no way I'd be able to handle a lure rod the length you folks tend to use for a day's lure fishing. I really don't know how you manage it. Wrists of steel I guess.

[ 11. May 2004, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newt:

There is no way I'd be able to handle a lure rod the length you folks tend to use for a day's lure fishing. I really don't know how you manage it. Wrists of steel I guess. My guess its because we cast longer rods with two hands, I cant get used to those little baitcasters you guys use! not enough poke for me!

I might try the braid, I was looking at it in the shop t'other day but 10lb will be fine for me! Any makes to avoid?

Just out of interest what do you do if the lure jams between two rocks and you have 50lb line? that'll be some pull to part the line!

BTW Newt finally bought the new outboard, 5 horse honda 4 stroke, lovely motor should have done it years ago! and a Lowrance combined GPS and fishfinder. Will I catch anymore fish?... I doubt it!! but at least I shouldnt get lost!

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

In preparing for a Skate trip I recently strapped myself into a shoulder and kidney harness combined with a powerful 50 lb. outfit. the most force i could excert on a spring balance was 26 pounds,

The Britsih conger club have been examing braids for records and most braids are way over the advertised rating. one guy is taking a manufacturers to court as a 25lb braid was breaking at 52 lbs and deprived him of a record.

From a boat point of view I can't see the point of fishing 10-15 pound lines if a braid will hold bottom in the tide. A light balanced rod and reel with a 28lb braid will give you all the feel you need and providing the clutch is set right will deal with any fish you are likely to come across in British waters (Skate and shark excluded)

For the Tope, I fish a 6-12 lb outfit with 28 braid knowing that if i hook that special fish, I have enough leeway to cope.

The last thing i want, is to lose a Tope with a 100 yards of braid trailing round after it because of macho tendencies fishing with 10-15 lb line.

From a fun pont of view, here is a challenge to see if your tackle is balanced. From a boat, I can guess 9 times out of 10 if a hooked LSD is male or female way before it breaks the surface, just by the kick it gives.(with most species the male will fight harder)

Anyway I think thats enough ramblings for a man that's just drunk a bucketful of Guiness.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Ian - unless the line was marked as IGFA line class rated I doubt the man will have much luck in court. If they advertise a b/s that is the minimum b/s.

Dan - If I get a lure wedged and have 50lb line, it is a real interesting trick to get it loose. I usually just take a couple turns around a cleat and motor off until it parts although with rock, the lure will almost always pop free if you simply go over and past where it is hung.

Good on ya for the new motor and the GPS. Money well spent.

I never knew you guys went in for two handed casting of lures. I guess that is OK if direction and distance only need to be approximate. Can you cast that way from a sitting position?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt:

There is no way I'd be able to handle a lure rod the length you folks tend to use for a day's lure fishing. I really don't know how you manage it. Wrists of steel I guess. Posted Image

http://www.shakespeare-fishing.co.uk/Produ...1.asp?line=1370

They do a 5.5 metre version of this one but it appears to be only available for eggbeaters.

Posted Image

http://www.shakespeare-fishing.co.uk/Produ...1.asp?line=1372

[ 12. May 2004, 07:30 AM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Does this have to be in clear(ish) water, I fish the Thames Estuary a lot, which holds a good head of Bass normally, but it is extremely muddy water, would I be wasting my time trying to spin? what sort of area would I have to look for? rocky bottom, close to walls etc, sounds gripping stuff, but would like to know if I am in with even half a chance.

Hi Nobby,

never fished the Thames but my experience of dirty water is that bright green and even orange lures help but most importantly use something that rattles, that way they can home in on your lure.

As far as area I look for anything that provides the bass with an ambush point, groynes, rocks, ledges, etc and the presence of baitfish along with enough tide to give some turbulence in the water. Give it a try I've certainly had fish from pretty dirty water before in estuarys on the south coast of Ireland.

best of luck

Guest sslatter

Round my way, the three most popular bass lures are the Abu Terminator, Dexter Wedge, and Mepps.

Anyone tried the Berkley Frenzy lures?

Hi Nobby,

Abu Terminator (single not jointed), Rapala J11 and J13 (with rattles added) Duel Magnet slider and Yo-Zuri Crystal Minnow. Also worth trying a surface popper like the Chug Bug if you're fishing fairly shallow marks or the bass look for food near the surface where you fish. Try to 'match the hatch' ie lure size to bait fish size (can be difficult at the extremes) and make your retrieve interesting, or at the very least try a different speed if you're not catching. I fished with a guy last year who had never caught on lures until he realised that retrieving a lure is not the same as reeling in a 6oz lead.

Let us know how you get on.