Greenpeace

Ian Burrett

I guess they couldnt really complain then. THey get something for free which if they dont use can earn them a lot of money anyway and not a penney of it goes into the public purse. A licence (or rather a quota) to print money.

"As for how much they pay, it isn’t cheep I can assure you that,"

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leon in my experience the government has never given a boat a viable quota, so that makes the need to buy and as Binatone says that makes a very big hole in the profit.I think the Royal bank of Scotland hold most quota .It does not make much difference to conservation whether you've paid for it or not.

It seems every body has difficlty finding fish, except fishermen, even it seems at the grand banks,were I was led to beleive cod were extinct totally wiped out by over fishing, now I see there's over 5,000 tons caught as a by catch in the plaice fishery,any body who knows will tell you that a net made to catch flat fish does not catch many cod,What would they catch if they fished for cod!! so not wiped out at all,

I,m glad to here Binatone is catching Cod, as they say "nay fish at whitby nay fish in the world" if the dicard storys are true it's time you sorted that out, I hate waste.

Here the cod are a bit thin on the gound, sighns of a better year comeing on though.

my sole and bass catches have been faily concistant for the last 12 years, does that mean I am fishing sustainabley ? If not why not?

The stocks don't seem to be getting less, in fact like the bass they seem to be increaceing.

But apparently I know nothing of this planet,I'm told the sea is devoid of fish.

I fish to live and live to fish.

wurzel:

I think the Royal bank of Scotland hold most quota .

Where did they get it from?

I thought that it was only given to fishing boats based on their previous track records.

And if the boats are never given enough for their needs in the first place .........

Where does the unneeded quota that gets sold come from??

:confused:

Tight Lines

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Captain Sensible:

I would agree with that Wurzel, there are many more bass being caught by anglers aroung here than when I was a boy (some 40 years ago). Especially in the last 3 years!

What's hapening Leon?

The nursery areas have proven very successful, and global warming has extended the range of bass, but talk to anglers who fished the strands for proper sized bass 20 - 40 years ago, and they will tell you that all we get these days are mostly immature bass :(

Same with cod.

I remember going down to the south coast and catching cod from the beaches, not codling!

And most anglers standing on the beach will have caught some cod as well.

Now when an angler catches a codling of 3 - 5lbs, it's referred to as a cod!

And word spreads along the beach and anglers leave their tackle to come and look!

Will my son be telling his kids of the huge whiting that Grandad used to catch off those beaches?

And I haven't had a plaice off the beach in years!

What is going on indeed!

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Captain Sensible:

Duuuh, people who can't make it pay Leon or those who retire.

The Bank of Scotland own the quota cos most of the money needed to buy the quota has to be borrowed - fishermen do not on the whole make a lot of money.

So the fishermen are given quota for free.

But that is not enough so they borrow money from the bank to buy quota from other fishermen that was given to them for free.

Then they find that they can't earn enough to pay their debt, so the bank takes over their quota, bought with borrowed money, and sells it onto other fishermen who have borrowed the money to pay for it but can't make it pay.

So the bank ends up owning most of the quota.

Isn't quota a depreciating asset, if it is not used by the end of the year it was given for, it becomes worthless? (or am I mistaken on that?)

?

Tight Lines - leon

[ 28. September 2005, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member