Greenpeace

Ian Burrett

Captain Sensible:

I don't know about cod Leon but most of the stories about appreciable quantities of large bass being caught in the past by anglers are anecdotal and we all know that the size of the fish increases every time the story is told.

Ah!

So all those old copies of the BASS magazine are full of old tripe, and I'm amazed at what they were able to do without photoshop in those days!

TL - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fishermen are given the quota to enable them to fish as they have since time began. The quota, decided on by interpretation of data by scientists in order to "manage fish stocks", cost the government nothing any way and is only of value to another fisherman.

Quota owned by the Bank of Scotland can be either owned in the real sense if the fisherman defaults on his payments or figuratively as when you have a mortgage and the bank have put up most of the money to buy (figuratively may not be the right word and indeed may not even be spelled properly but I hope you understand my meaning)

I'm sure you know all this already Leon, I would be very surprised if a man of your education did not.

"I fish therefore I am"

Leon Roskilly:

Leon Roskilly:

Duuuh, people who can't make it pay Leon or those who retire.

The Bank of Scotland own the quota cos most of the money needed to buy the quota has to be borrowed - fishermen do not on the whole make a lot of money.

So the fishermen are given quota for free.

But that is not enough so they borrow money from the bank to buy quota from other fishermen that was given to them for free.

Then they find that they can't earn enough to pay their debt, so the bank takes over their quota, bought with borrowed money, and sells it onto other fishermen who have borrowed the money to pay for it but can't make it pay.

So the bank ends up owning most of the quota.

Isn't quota a depreciating asset, if it is not used by the end of the year it was given for, it becomes worthless? (or am I mistaken on that?)

?

Tight Lines - leon

Its a fantastic system eh? Conserve fish by introducing regulations and systems that drive the quotas into the hands of first; a smaller group of individuals (@Autumns@ 's "fat cats"), and then into mutlinational institutions.

You have to laugh :D

Think im going to have to reread "The GRapes of Wrath" :D

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Aye, thats human nature and was on the cards from the moment the whole crazy system was introduced.

I wonder how many council houses, bought at say 40% discount, were sold on at that discount?

The situation now is that a skipper will have to buy quota and the cash to pay for that, the crews wages, the goverment levies, harbour dues and all the other million and one sly taxes on a boat, will all come out of the cod end.

Plying yet more and more cost and regulation on what they catch seems an insane way of trying to restore fish stocks to me...

Jaffa:

and all the other million and one sly taxes on a boat

eh!

I'd like to know what boats, fisherman, the fishing industry pays into the public purse to offset the public expenditure that goes on research, administration, enforcement, subsidies, decommissioning, tie-ups etc

A friend who tries to earn a living as a haulier is always whinging that fishermen pay no duty on fuel, as he does. He has to pay hundreds for tachographs to be fitted to his vehicles, whereas the public purse pays for satellite monitoring equipment to be fitted to fishing boats!

It would be nice to show that fishermen pay a significant amount towards the £8,000 or so that each fisherman is said to cost the public purse.

(see http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/consult/...onsultation.pdf for discussion of charges being considered on the inshore fleet! )

So, what are the revenue sources that the government takes from the fishing industry into the public purse, and the amounts collected?

Tight Lines - leon

ps Anglers put in around £94 million in VAT, and recieve almost nothing from the government in return apart from some minimal funding from sport England to pay for coaching, youth policy etc

RNLI Shoreline Member

Captain Sensible:

Leon, I would be very surprised if a man of your education did not.

eh!

I was impossible to educate, my mind was always on fishing instead of something useful!

TL - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Leon Roskilly:

Leon Roskilly:

and all the other million and one sly taxes on a boat

eh!

I'd like to know what boats, fisherman, the fishing industry pays into the public purse to offset the public expenditure that goes on research, administration, enforcement, subsidies, decommissioning, tie-ups etc

A friend who tries to earn a living as a haulier is always whinging that fishermen pay no duty on fuel, as he does. He has to pay hundreds for tachographs to be fitted to his vehicles, whereas the public purse pays for satellite monitoring equipment to be fitted to fishing boats!

It would be nice to show that fishermen pay a significant amount towards the £8,000 or so that each fisherman is said to cost the public purse.

(see http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/consult/...onsultation.pdf for discussion of charges being considered on the inshore fleet! )

So, what are the revenue sources that the government takes from the fishing industry into the public purse, and the amounts collected?

Tight Lines - leon

ps Anglers put in around £94 million in VAT, and recieve almost nothing from the government in return apart from some minimal funding from sport England to pay for coaching, youth policy etc

Lol. Leon, where did this desire for layers of civil servants come from: the fishermen :D:D ???!! BTW You missed all the HSE legislation in your list of other people "helping" fishing communities to see the folly of their ways :P

I'd love to see a survey that details the value of UK seafood exports against RSA sea angling export earnings? Not a subject i know a thing about, but given almost all the kit we use seems to be made abroad I wonder?