Do Mackerel die if released?

101_North

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D If u catch them take ALL home and eat hand out to friends etc and save in freezer as bait for next season when they are gone - unless u are just a Mackeral basher!!!!!- cause otherwise U are killing them 4 no no reason!!! :D
BassMan - The holder of Possibly Very Good Catches - Luv to fish from Yaks!!!!

they servive better when let go than when knocked on the head.,.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

sam-cox:

they servive better when let go than when knocked on the head.,.

WRONG they are DEFINITELY DEAD IF TOUCHED By HUMAN HANDS!!!!!

I am a Marine Biologist - THEY DO DIE LOVE!!! demon demon demon

im not a love, how come when I catch a mackeral on feathers, then put a 6/0 through the back of its head it stays well alive for up to 4 hours?

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

I do not think mackeral make a good catch and release species. To catch more than you require for the pot or for bait would be gready. If handled with lots of care, like useing a wet cloth when un-hooking, and as long as they are not deeply hooked they should servive.

They defernately stand a better chance than the mackeral in the fish box.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

I don't know about that Sam, a wet cloth (and i know its good advice for most species) would still put pressure on the skin; what if those finger "marks" we see are a kind of bruising? The mackerel has a huge network of blood vessels just under the skin (needs them for that Formula 1 performance level it has)that perhaps are burst with the slightest pressure? Its a true pelagic species and very different to most the fish we catch in the UK.

So good to eat when fresh, i never put any back; usually spread them around friends and family.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Jaffa:

I don't know about that Sam, a wet cloth (and i know its good advice for most species) would still put pressure on the skin; what if those finger "marks" we see are a kind of bruising? The mackerel has a huge network of blood vessels just under the skin (needs them for that Formula 1 performance level it has)that perhaps are burst with the slightest pressure? Its a true pelagic species and very different to most the fish we catch in the UK.

Good sense here - thanks for some sense for once!!! :D:D

Leon Roskilly:

Beware the greenies who are against angling and are countering the catch and release argument by saying that studies have shown that more than 85% of fish released die.

Those 'studies' that they quote so authoritively were on freshwater bass tournaments, where the fish were kept aboard boats, crowded together in tanks for most of a very hot day.

Not only that Leon but those are older figures. Things were that bad for a while and it led to a major effort to improve live wells and the fish handling from catch to release.

I think the numbers that die following a bass tourney these days is very, very small. Several lakes I fish regularly have club tourneys all through the Spring-Fall and the releases are done near the launch ramps. It is rare to see dead bass in the hours or days following a tourney and I launch from the same ramps.

It has been a combination of live well design improvement, aeriation improvement, some excellent anti-stress chemicals to add while holding the fish, and a few other similar improvements.

Nice how-to article from B.A.S.S. Here

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President