Charter Boat North East and North West, Scabster/Ulapool

Wild Angler

I’m new to sea fishing with only one winter under my belt but now looking ahead to this year I’m starting to plan my sea fishing trips. I’m looking for contacts and information on where I can charter a skipped boat for a days sea fishing. I’m keen to hear any reports you may have and of any skippers/boats that you would recommend. I’ve fished out of Scrabster on the Karen on a number of occasions and always had great success….., double figure Cod, Ling, Pollock, Coallies, Mackerel, Flatties, Cuckoo Wrasse. Any info you can give would be much appreciated.

Also, it has often proved difficult to fill all places on these charters, maybe 2-3 or even upto 5 spare rods. So if you would like to join me on one of these charters and are able to get to the North East/North West of Scotland I would be very keen to here from you. Cost is normally somewhere between £25 - £30 (Charter, Rod, First Rig set up and Bait, sometimes a couple of hot filled rolls are also included)

Sorry if this, also my first Post, is too long !

Cheers

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Wild Angler

Hiya Wild Angler and welcome to the forum :)

We have quite a few members up that way including a few nutters in Scrabster. So I'm sure some of them will reply sooner rather than later

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Hi Wild Angler,

Welcome to the madhouse.

Can't help you with the Ullapool boats, but Scrabster I can.

You already have had the delights of the 'Karen' i see, the only other charter out of here is the 'Hebridean Warrior' run by a guy called Chris Bennet from your neck of the woods and i don't have contact details to hand sorry.

Keep your eye open on this forum for fairly regular get togethers for this sleepy little place, come join us, be initiated into the madhouse and above all have fun :D

scrabster survivor and official loony

www.tugmistress.co.uk

Life can't get better than this!

www.save-our-sharks.org

Hi wild angler

welcome to the forum. Tuggs is right we have a trip going that way next weekend and I hope the fishing is as good as you say.

You have certainly found the right forum for info in that area if my experiences have been anything to go by :D

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

Thanks Guys,

Been away for the weekend, doing my other thing, fishing the hill lochs, this was between Little Assynt and Drumbeg (loch Poll, Loch Crocach, Loch Beannach and a few others on route) two nights roughing it out on the hills and the hill walking was hard but worth it as the fishing was great. Many fish on all lochs best was around 1lb 4oz – 1lb 8oz, but most fish came in just under the pound mark.

Anyway, Its really nice to be welcomed on board by you all and I’m looking forward to getting to know you all and of course finding out all I can about sea fishing. I will of course post dates and locations of my planned trips and also follow up with reports afterwards.

Fastd,

I’m looking forward to your report on the Scrabster trip keep us posted.

Tuggs,

Can you give me a quick description of the “Hebridean Warrior” compared to the Karen, how many rods, and rough price…..also is the skipper as good at finding the fish ?

Spanner,

Thanks for the Gairloch tip, I’ll be following this one up !

Cheers,

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Wild Angler

I would be interested in any trips going - particularly the Gairloch boat as Scrabster is fair hike North for me (but doable depending on 'her indoors').

Any info on the Gairloch boat welcomed as I have some friends with a young son staying soon who are keen to get on the water. Took them to Ardmair Bay (by Ullapool) couple of years back where we rented a self drive motor boat and caught a couple of cracking pollack plus mackeral.

Great pity but that operation is now closed down with the owner blaming rocketing cost of insurance for its demise. Are there any other 'self drive' boat hirers in the Highlands apart from the chap at Embo I wonder?