Cod Latest

Leon Roskilly

westerly:

What did NOT make the news on Franz's plans...

What was not reported widely outside of Ireland / Dublin is the Commissioner's plan to allow "limited but non-disciminatory" access for EU boats to traditional inshore fishery areas around Ireland and presumably the UK also.  This means that the large commercial fleets out of Belgium, France, Spain, etc will now have hoover up anything that is still left in these areas, areas which traditionally have acted as nursery areas for all indigenous species.

Who is the local MEP?

This is what Fischler actually said:

'Finally let me mention briefly that we are keeping relative stability including Hague Preferences and we also keep the 12 miles zones.

As far as the Irish Box is concerned you will by now all know about the legal discussions going on here. Whatever the outcome of these discussions is, one thing is legally clear: the transitional period for Spain runs out with New Years Eve 2002. In practical terms this means that any rules which treat the Spanish fleet differently from others cannot be applied anymore.

Therefore we have to find a way of preserving fish stocks and preventing fishing effort to increase in the Irish Box that treats all Member States in an equal way.

The rules currently governing the Irish Box, I am speaking here about the 40 vessel limit for Spain, are discriminatory and must therefore be changed.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the Commission's goal is clear - to give EU fishermen a secure future. And this simply cannot happen if there are no fish left in the sea. You know how many jobs have been lost in the industry over the past decade, you know that measures are urgently needed to save our fisheries. Let's work together on this.'

So the restrictions on the inshore 12 mile zone around the whole of the UK will still apply, but there is a problem with the 'Irish Box' That is still being worked upon.

The full speech and other information are at:

http://europa.eu.int/comm/fisheries/whatsn...snew/new_en.htm

You can access links that help you discover contact details for your MP, MEP etc from the SACN pages.

Tight Lines - leon

Sea Anglers' Conservation Network (SACN)

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/sacn/

[ 12. November 2002, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

80% of cod imported to the UK comes via airfreight from Iceland?

I stated that 3 yrs ago!! Before this latest round of cod conservation!! The government scientist that lead the investigation resigned, shortly after his findings were rubbished by the Labour party spin doctors!!

Sorry. If you want to keep fish in our waters? You`ll have to stick your own stamps on your letters!! Petitions are less than useless!!

You`ve seen Mr Fischler back down, nay, grovell. If you want to fish for cod? Send a letter now!! Within the next 2 days. One copy to your local MP, next copy to your Euro MP!

If you don`t? Bye bye cod.( they are already on the point of extinction) Next year,will be too late! In fact, this year was too late for North Sea cod.

Haddock is on the way out as well.

But why worry?

Get that letter posted! Every letter has to be read and filed. A percentage of them have to be answered!!

Paul.

Go on! You know it makes sense!!

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Fair dues Leon, I stand corrected.

My you... what the Commission say and what actually happens tend to be horses of a different hue, and when was the last time you saw any commercial trawler that distinguished between inside and outside a twelve mile limit!

The EU plan is still ridiculously inconsistent... fish migrate.. who is going to tell the cod they will be safer one side of a given line on a map!

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org

I fish Whitby and the fishing declines each year. I belive that in the short term a total ban on cod fishing is the only way forward. Then when stocks return allow rod and line fishing including long lines and auto jiggers. I have helped on a part time boat pirking in the North Sea. Over the last ten years we have had to move further and further out to catch fish of a decent size. In the past 30 miles was our limmit the last trip I did was for 110 miles. Pirk fishing and long lineing takes only large fish and does not have a large bi catch or more important damage the sea bed. Have you looked at a scalop trawl. a large beam with a wheel on either end and several nets with drag claws that go about 4 inches into the sea bed. What damage do these do?

prp

quote:

Originally posted by Alan Taylor:

[QBWhere is the link to the reactions of the scottish green peace? :confused: I understand they are "onboard"

Alan(nl)[/QB]

Alan,

Tom Pinborough and Glyn Hope have been running the SACN Cod Recovery Campaign (and they've both been working bloody hard!).

I had this from Glyn:

Hi Leon.

"I've been hounding the Scottish Green Party all week with e-mails and letters about their silence on the subject of the cod crisis.

They have contacted me today to say that they are now on board with our views and are meeting Mr Finnie to explain to him that his demands only take into account the short term future and in the long term will cause a 'Greek Tragedy' for

the fishing industry.

They have also put up a page on their website to make clear how they stand at:

http://www.scottishgreens.org.uk/news/2002...021031greek.htm

Glyn"

Tight Lines - leon

Sea Anglers' Conservation Network

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/sacn/

[ 15. November 2002, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Leon Roskilly:

quote:

Originally posted by Alan Taylor:

[QBWhere is the link to the reactions of the scottish green peace?     :confused:     I understand they are "onboard"

Alan(nl)

Alan,

Not sure about 'green peace', but I know that the Scottish Green Party have now signed up :)

Tom Pinborough and Glyn Hope have been running the SACN Cod Recovery Campaign (and they've both been working bloody hard, with a lot of success! If only Recreational Sea Angling had a thousand like them, even a hundred would do!).

I had this from Glyn:

Hi Leon.

"I've been hounding the Scottish Green Party all week with e-mails and letters about their silence on the subject of the cod crisis.

They have contacted me today to say that they are now on board with our views and are meeting Mr Finnie to explain to him that his demands only take into account the short term future and in the long term will cause a 'Greek Tragedy' for

the fishing industry.

They have also put up a page on their website to make clear how they stand at:

http://www.scottishgreens.org.uk/news/2002...021031greek.htm

Glyn"

Tight Lines - leon

Sea Anglers' Conservation Network

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/sacn/[/QB]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Leon Roskilly:

]
Thanks Leon, that was the one that I was looking for. I know the good work they are doing.

Did you know that they (North Wales) are having a Christmas beach comp in aid of cleaning up the beaches and helping to finance there site?

Get them to post on here for support please.

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/