Beach Rod Ferrules?

Stroller

Hi,

I have just bought a new Abu beach 12ft sea rod via mail order. This is my first sea rod as I am just taking up sea angling.

When the 2-piece rod is put together there is still a one inch gap at the ferrule. ie. the rod pieces don't fit all the way down. Is this normal? The shop said it was made like this.

Its not that I disbelieve them (?) but I have had 3 coarse match rods and 3 spinning rods in my time and they all fit together perfectly so that there was no gap at the ferrules at all.

Please let me know if this is right or not?

As I am worried that the gap may weaken the rod!

Thanks, Howard.

[ 01. September 2005, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: Stroller ]

Stroller,

the three match rods and three spinners were incorrectly made blanks (assuming they were new when you got them) the beach rod is as it is meant to be.

The more you join the sections over the seasons the male spigot (bottom end) will wear slightly each time and you will find that inch gap diminishes as time goes on. When it eventually fits `perfect' chuck it away and get a new one or simply wait till the tip flies off.

Thanks for your responses! Much appreciated!

I can see the sense in having the extra leeway in the rod to account for wear and abrasion from sand over the years! It being an Abu did make me question what I had previously believed!

Sea angling is new to me but I am learning quickly! Have even bought 2 books on the subject!

This is a good site! Thanks again!

Stroller

its not actually the sand that causes the abrasion. Although the female ferrule is raised on the outside of the blank, i.e. a visible bump, this is to accomodate serious re-inforcing on the inside of the blank. This is a hard wearing surface inside the female section. The male section on the other hand is bog standard carbon / glass / composite whatever and as such wears against the `hard' re-inforcing fibres of the female ferrule.