Would you remember,how good is your memory.

Clifftop

I used to suffer from Alzheimer's but can't remember whether they cured it or not. Please help!

Please, no alzheimer's jokes, those of us who have watched loved ones go through what it does to them can find no humour in the effects of the disease.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Please, no alzheimer's jokes, those of us who have watched loved ones go through what it does to them can find no humour in the effects of the disease.

Chevin, I'm really sorry...I'll go an delete the offending post now.

Alan

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Chevin, I'm really sorry...I'll go an delete the offending post now.

Alan

Not a problem Al. It is one of those things that isn't understood by many. I never had any idea what it was like until I saw my Mother go through it, though thankfully I was living in Oz so I never saw it every day. Sadly it seems that more and more are going to have to come to terms with the disease though whether it is becoming more prevalent or not I don't know. Oddly enough, over 40 years ago, Vagabond mentioned the disease and it was the first time I had ever heard of it. If I remember correctly he said that it was thought that cooking in aluminium pans might have something to do with the increase of the disease. Something leaching out of the metal was thought to be responsible. Whether that was right or not I don't know. But we don't use them!

Edited by chevin

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Not a problem Al. It is one of those things that isn't understood by many. I never had any idea what it was like until I saw my Mother go through it, though thankfully I was living in Oz so I never saw it every day. Sadly it seems that more and more are going to have to come to terms with the disease though whether it is becoming more prevalent or not I don't know. Oddly enough, over 40 years ago, Vagabond mentioned the disease and it was the first time I had ever heard of it. If I remember correctly he said that it was thought that cooking in aluminium pans might have something to do with the increase of the disease. Something leaching out of the metal was thought to be responsible. Whether that was right or not I don't know. But we don't use them!

4 members of my maternal grandmother's generation suffered various forms of dementia, and I saw the strain it placed upon my mother in terms of the physical and emotional cost of palliative care. Frankly, the only way I was able to handle it was to laugh - it was that or cry.

Edited by Alan Stubbs

4 members of my maternal grandmother's generation suffered various forms of dementia, and I saw the strain it placed upon my mother in terms of the physical and emotional cost of palliative care. Frankly, the only way I was able to handle it was to laugh - it was that or cry.

I guess that I laughed at some of the things my Mother did, but as you say there are few choices. Unfortunately there was only one reaction to the situation in which she failed to recognise me and had no idea as to who I was. That really was dreadful.

The link between aluminium cookware and Dulcimer's Disease are tenuous, to say the least. If you don't use aluminium pans for this reason, then it would also be logical not to drink tea as tea contains a lot more aluminium than will leach out of an aluminium pan.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/...p?documentID=99

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8254994

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

The link between aluminium cookware and Dulcimer's Disease are tenuous, to say the least. If you don't use aluminium pans for this reason, then it would also be logical not to drink tea as tea contains a lot more aluminium than will leach out of an aluminium pan.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/...p?documentID=99

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8254994

I recall reading the same thing about Alzheimer's and a tenuous connection with high levels of aluminium. Frankly, I think it's more likely to show through genetic disposition - certainly, my mother's family would stand as a non-empirical justification - my grandmother, who was one of the four used enamelled cast iron potsall her life...and she wasn't a great tea drinker!

I recall reading the same thing about Alzheimer's and a tenuous connection with high levels of aluminium. Frankly, I think it's more likely to show through genetic disposition - certainly, my mother's family would stand as a non-empirical justification - my grandmother, who was one of the four used enamelled cast iron potsall her life...and she wasn't a great tea drinker!
Alan

My post should have read Alzheimer's not Dulcimer's. There are many other sources of aluminium, from toothpaste to water treatment.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Alan

My post should have read Alzheimer's not Dulcimer's. There are many other sources of aluminium, from toothpaste to water treatment.

I guessed as much. Dulcimer's disease affects elderly musicians! (well the name suggests as much!)

My grandmother's last words were to a cousin that I was ribbing whilst we were visitng. She said 'He always was a tinker!' But she could have been speaking about anyone.

I guessed as much. Dulcimer's disease affects elderly musicians! (well the name suggests as much!)
LOL no, overzealous spell checker that had never heard of poor old Dr Alzheimer.