Latest Report outlining DEFRA's future Intentions

Leon Roskilly

Guest jay_con

And then He will post up why it is your fault there is nothing left as you have caught it all on your rod.

Pass me my crystal ball.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JRT It's not gloom and doom and why should I get another job? It would be better if you lot got a different hobby.

@atumn@ I supose it was you who told her there was no fish to catch.

My wife who is still being kept in the standerd of living she is acustomed thinks there are loads of fish to catch.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Guest jay_con

Actually no wurzel it wasnt believe it or not - we hardly discuss fishing. It is something I do and she thinks is smelly and boring.

She is very close friends with the daughter of the co - owner of one of the towns biggest fishing companies. She also knows some of the trawlermen's partners who are no longer kept in the standard of living they were once accustomed to. I guess they told her.

[ 14. October 2005, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: @AUTUMN@ ]

wurzel:

My wife who is still being kept in the standerd of living she is acustomed thinks there are loads of fish to catch.

Wurzel,

There's no other living being on this planet that I would so much hope was right and I was wrong.

But you've given me an awful feeling of de je vue with that!

"In Massachusetts, a long established 'phone in' radio show took a call from the cod crusaders of the port of Gloucester in late 2003 which blamed the demise of their cod stocks on the Government and scientists.

The scientists came in for some really severe criticism for not having argued strongly enough that the stocks were in a precarious situation.

After all, said the cod crusader, (wife of commercial fishermen) "our husbands are just fishermen, they are not scientists and the scientists should have known better!"

During the show's transmission, the show host, played a previous recording of a phone call to the show from almost twenty years previous.

It was a recording of the Cod Crusaders from Gloucester and guess what the caller was saying? "the scientists don't know what they are talking about, there are plenty of cod, our husbands know better than the scientists because they are out there on the banks"

I just hope that you are right, and not just repeating history!

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

actualy my wife hates fish,refers to them as "poxy fish" and has often said through out our 27 years of marriage " why don't you get a proper job"

Leon Are bass in a precarious situation then?

As for cod what would you suggest to stop history repeating it's self.

I fish to live and live to fish.

wurzel:

Leon Are bass in a precarious situation then?

Maybe soon

Rough Trans: Source: Ouest France- Friday 14th of October 2005

42 discontented liners.

Fisheries: A petition against pelagic trawling on the spawning grounds

The fishing sector is disturbed at the present time.

A petition signed by 42 liners and ropemakers from the ports of Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue and Barfleur, in the Val-de Saire, will be sent to the authorities for measures to be taken to prohibit fishing with pelagic trawls on the bass spawning grounds during the reproductive period.

“Liners don’t fish for bass during the period of reproduction from January to April. Neverthless, a serious resource management problem exists.

It’s during the reproductive period that the massacres resulting from the use of pelagic trawls take place.”

These are the opening sentences of the petition which will be sent to the national, regional and local fisheries committees, to the bureau of marine affairs and to the headquarters of the EU in Brussels.

“We have collected 42 signatures from the ports of Saint Vaast-la-Houque and Barfleur asking the authorities to take measures to prohibit this fishing method on the spawning grounds.

A pelagic trawl is as big as a football pitch and towed by two boats” declares the liner from Saint Vaast, Daniel Osmont, one of the signatories of the petition.

“This fishery is pursued by Breton and Norman boats on the spawning grounds of the Casquets off la Hague”

An intensive fishery which according to the signatories threatens the future of bass.

“One doesn’t have to be an ecologist to understand the damage resulting from this type of fishing. The quotas are not even respected and it’s a complete waste. This abusive fishery will result in the disappearance of bass”.

In Brittany, several months ago, the liners obtained a total prohibition of pelagic trawling in certain zones.

A few years ago the month of June was the best month for fishing.

Now it’s the worst, due to a shortage of fish, according to Daniel Osmont, who goes on to conclude “Let’s react quickly: when man has consumed the last fish, it will be too late to wake up to the fact that money cannot be consumed”

This petition should shake fisheries into action and will not make for good relations between the professions.

See also: http://www.anglers-net.co.uk/sacn/latest/i...ex.php?view=409

er, How about organizing some of the UK Inshore fishermen in support of your French amis, Wurzel?

Like your French counterparts, get together and start fighting those taking away your future, or don't you think there's a problem?

Tight Lines - leon

[ 14. October 2005, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust