Latest Report outlining DEFRA's future Intentions

Leon Roskilly

I have written to various fisheries ministers over the years. To be fair to them I have always, eventually, received a reply. The key word is "eventually". That is the problem. Usually by the time the letter works it way through the system and back, the person I wrote to isn't even in the job anymore. That means that fisheries ministers never need look more than a couple of years ahead, knowing that they will soon have the poisoned chalice taken off them and they can get on with their careers. They don't want to be remembered as "the man who closed the fishing industry" ever connected in the public's mind with newsreels of some Scottish fishwife throwing cod carcasses at them! The result is that nothing effective is ever, nor will ever be done.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NickInTheNorth

As many people have pointed out, the only reason that it is bass that the proposals are targetting at present is because B.A.S.S. got off there backsides and made it happen.

With hard work from everyone concerned those proposals can be realised. Then with even more hardwork other species too can be protected.

The one thing that is certain is that there is no chance of this or any other government just saying "OK the recreational sea anglers can have all that they want today". It will take time, but let us be happy that there is a last a seat at the table for anglers in England. Let us also hope that very soon there will be room for us in negotiations up here in Scotland.

big_cod:

Simon the defra proposul about closing the fisherie for bass during spawning a great idea the same should be inaffect for cod, its makes sence to let things breed sucessfully but just wait for the backlash.

Hi Big Cod

This should apply to all species, but if you want it to happen then form a group. Who knows what could happen.

Who would have though 5 years ago that Defra would publish a committment to sea angling? Much of which is because of the hundreds nay thousands of hours that people like Simon and Leon have put in.

Making tope a recreational species only is only a reality because of the above.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Guest NickInTheNorth

Colin

The only really effective way of communicating with ministers is via MP's, MSP's, MEP's etc depending on where your target minister serves.

They are under a duty to reply fairly promptly to questions asked by members of the various parliaments.

Also your representative is also under a duty to ask the questions you put forward. That is how the system works. Unfortunately working through the system, rather than against it is generally the only way to make progress. It is a slow progress generally, but despite that it is the only way forward.

Unless you think that you can get a million people on the streets in Westminster - and have the bulk of the population agreeing with what you are doing. And that is a difficult trick to pull off (only really the poll tax riots have achieved it recently!!)

Guest jay_con

Ian Burrett:

Ian Burrett:

Simon the defra proposul about closing the fisherie for bass during spawning a great idea the same should be inaffect for cod, its makes sence to let things breed sucessfully but just wait for the backlash.

Hi Big Cod

This should apply to all species, but if you want it to happen then form a group. Who knows what could happen.

Who would have though 5 years ago that Defra would publish a committment to sea angling? Much of which is because of the hundreds nay thousands of hours that people like Simon and Leon have put in.

Making tope a recreational species only is only a reality because of the above.

I admire your group thing with the Sharks Ian and it too is a sign of what can be achieved. I read with delight the article in the times and was pleased to see your name mentioned there in.

With regards to a group with the purpose of saving cod, I doubt it would ever happen. Even discussing the problems is taboo in these parts. For some reasons people whoose livlihoods are being ruined will not stand up and say enough is enough, they sit in silence for fear of upsetting friends and drinking partners.

To set up such a group you need a front man who is well known in fishing circles with the respect of anglers in the local and wider area. I know of such a man with contacts in the fishing magazines and well known to everyone across our coastline and highly respected for his angling ability. Doubt he would want to put up with the flack that would come with running such a group though.

NickInTheNorth:

The only really effective way of communicating with ministers is via MP's, MSP's, MEP's etc depending on where your target minister serves.

er, I recently ended up in a London pub, sharing a pint (or two!) with a Government minister. :)

I only just made my last train, he had a driver waiting outside!

(How I'm sometimes made to suffer for my interest in angling!)

But you are right Nick, it's those letters and emails from anglers, often seemingly ignored, sometimes seemingly dismissed, that are the real powerhouse behind the recognition that RSA has had in the last couple of years or so.

It was only fairly recently that DEFRA were telling us that their mission was to look after commercial fishing, and that angling matters should be referred to the Department of Culture, Media and Sport!

The fact that Recreational Sea Angling was recently recognised in DEFRA's 'Securing the Benefits' report as being part of the UK Fishing Industry, and that the needs of RSA are beginning to be addressed by DEFRA, isn't because some bright spark in DEFRA, or some politician, has suddenly thought 'What about Sea Anglers?'.

It's because we have been lobbying, coming up with thought through proposals, writing letters, floating new ways of thinking about the management of marine resources etc.

It's still incredibly early days, and still there is a lot of cultural baggage and established mindsets to be changed, but the journey has begun.

Our biggest barriers now are apathy and cynicism.

Things are changing, and need to change more. But that will only happen if everyone keeps pushing for that change.

If you've got time to complain on Anglersnet forum, time to float ideas here, time to say that you are unhappy, and why you are unhappy, you must have some time to put some of that into a letter, and post it to where it will do some good.

So, instead of posting here: 'This report has no real substance' etc, Write and tell them what you think, what you want, because they are the ones who will bring about change, whether it's change that you want, or something that you very much don't want.

See: http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/water/...cy/marine-bill/

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Guest jay_con

Gonna write and tell them the uk map is bigger than they think. Do they print maps down there that show the uk as a tiny island with a northern most tip at Watford??

Guest NickInTheNorth

why not write and say something constructive, why not ask them what action they are planning to protect the cod, and improve it's long term sustainability. Make the suggestions that you have made on here.

You never know it might be the start of something big. You can build websites, why not create one for the protection of the cod. Get a few other folks on board (and I think you could get plenty of support from around the UK, and see what happens)

Nickinthenorth,

"To try and then extend that to the wages of the washer up in the restaurant is a nonesense"

I agree,but so is the figures dreamed up by anglers just to score policital points.

Big cod,

They already tried that in the north sea,I think it is still ongoing in the Irish sea it ain't made the slightest difference.

I suppose you would not mind being tied up from January to April.Any way if you catch a big cod in August or in February the result is the same, it won't ever spawn again.I rekcon it would be better to ban cod fishing during May to October

to protect the large adult fish from anglers hammering the wrecks, I know, more nonesense, but then so are most anglers theories.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Wurzel

The figures we quote aren't our figures but from an independant survey sanctioned by Tony Blair

Recent Studies

A report into the value of Recreational Sea Angling was commissioned from Drew Associates by DEFRA.

Published in July 2004, it calculated that the direct spend by Recreational anglers in the England & Wales amounted to £538 million and the total worth of the sector could be some £1.3 billion.

The report can be downloaded from:

http://statistics.defra.gov.uk/esg/reports...ing/default.asp

A report into the UK fishing Industry, produced by the Prime Ministers Strategy Unit also contains information about the Recreational Angling sector.

It values the recreational sector as being worth ‘at least £1 billion’

This report can be downloaded from:

http://www.strategy.gov.uk/files/pdf/net_benefits.pdf

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk