Latest Report outlining DEFRA's future Intentions

Leon Roskilly

Guest jay_con

might just do that Nick. But im itching to know what Mr Bradshawes Uk map looks like too.

I think to be effective you have to be positive and not get drawn into sillyness though and I cant help myself. When Wurzel makes such bizzare comment's I cant keep me gob shut. Wish I was more like Leon, yourself and Ian but My alterego just takes over.

For me Big cods the man who doesnt get drawn into sillyness and petty arguments and his finger is right on the pulse at times, you can tell that when other Whitby posters have to resort to personnal attacks on his vocabulary rather than being able to offer something in opposition to the points he raises.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wurzel:

Sactioned by Tony Blair!!! OH thats all right then I suppose I had better believe them.

@Autumn@ Do I make bezarre comments? I never thought it, remind me of one.

You are right of course Wurzel

Blair lays in bed at night dreaming up schemes of how to screw up the commercial fisherman. The reality is he doesn't need to. They have done it them selves.

As for bizarre comments. Try "theres plenty of fish in the sea", for one

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Wurzel, 2 years ago a pair team from whitby had 1000 kit for 8 days fishing off flamborough head in december all cod roed up ready to spawn one of the skippers told me it fish gathering ready to spawn now a 1000 kit is 10,000 stone big licks so when you mention anglers doing damage come on mate get real.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Hi Autumn.

I personally don't think a total ban on cod fishing is to far away, but regards a pressure group.it would be a matter of setting realistic targets.

I believe the breeding Stock move very close to shore and lay their eggs in the shallows.

A realistic target could be to stop commercial Cod fishing within 3 miles off the shore during January and February (that was when Balcary had the big fish)

or even increasing the MLS which even some commercial posters on this site agree with.

If it can be done for Bass why not cod?

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Ian

"Blair lays in bed at night dreaming up schemes of how to screw up the commercial fisherman"

I doubt it, but he does dream up schemes of how to screw us all out of your hard earn't cash,and at the moment he's got his mind set on you anglers.

"There are plenty of fish in the sea" thats true not bezarre,you don't seem to be able to catch any thats all, I catch loads so who's right you or me.

I agree I think a total ban on cod is not far away, it won't make the slightest difference.

In this area the cod move offshore to breed.

I would agree to a conciderable rise in the LMS for all fish.Then we would need a small force of inspectors to inforce them and the rest of dfra greenpeace and most of you lot could bugger of and leave us alone, taking the stakeholders managment plan for fisheries or what ever it's called with you.

Big Cod,

10000 stone for 8 days works out at 650 stone per boat per day, that good but nothing special for large boats, you have often told us of your anglers catching 100 stone a day, so you must be included in any such bans.

I fish to live and live to fish.

by leon:So, instead of posting here: 'This report has no real substance' etc, Write and tell them what you think, what you want, because they are the ones who will bring about change, whether it's change that you want, or something that you very much don't want.

Ouch leon, i guess that remark was aimed at me? thats ok i am a big boy now, ok like quite a few on here i guess i am a little impatient and yes still a little green under the gills, still its nice to see you fired up a bit leon and expressing it to.

Simon makes some good points to and i did enjoy reading his letter to his mp, but can i give you both a little advice and that is never judge a book by its cover always just because someone asks a question in a way what appears to them as negative, as my most recent letter to my mp will prove.

tight lines...

Dear Mr Waterson.

Thank you for your reply on the 7 december 2004 as regards the issues i raised about the current and indeed the continuing state and lack of the sea angling opportunities in eastbourne and its surrounding areas.

You may or may not be aware that defra have promised to involve sea anglers as stakeholders more, with decisions that will help with sustaining and conserving our fish stocks in a more manageable way.

I do understand that with the conservative party still in opposition, there is only a certain amount you can do, but i believe that in this instance (and the main reason of this letter) that your support would mean a great deal to all the the sea anglers in eastbourne and surrounding areas and also nationaly.

Due to be released (although it was meant to be released before the general election in april) by defra is a consultation paper which will contain certain recommendations outlined within the bmp (bass management plan) the bmp is a very detailed document put together by a group of dedicated professionals (bass angler's sportfishing society) that have studied bass their behaviour/breeding/localisation/ by practicing valued tagging and monitoring etc, they have also investigated the value to commercial fishermen ££, and as a recreational sport angling fish ££, this operation started in the eighties and continues today with scale readings sent in to them from captures by anglers all over the country for, more scientific work to prove that this magnificent fish is worth much more to the sporting angler and the economy localy and nationaly than being just served up with a plate of chips or what ever takes your fancy.

Mr Waterson, as an angler you will know as i have already mentioned last year when i first wrote to you about how eastbourne's waters surrounding beachy head are important to the bass as a species, the cuckmere inlet to the west is a very important nursery and i know it is not in our cp boundary but the school bass that inhabit this are the same fish that inhabit our beaches and shore marks, this results in many undersized schoolies being taken at the current mls of 36cm, these fish are juveniles and to immature to have bred.

In the bmp the proposal of raising this limit to atleast 45cm is scientifically proven that these fish would have had at least one chance of breeding ,so making more sence of the implementation of 45cm mls than the current one at 36cm.

So what exactly am i asking for? well" your permission to add your name on a growing list of 45 mp's (whith may i ad your conservative coleague Malcom Moss mp for north east cambridge) that have already given their support for raising the mls for bass from 36cm to 45cm.

I have enclosed some information (only a small amount) about the proposed info on the mls increase and a current front page of the bass angler's sportfish society webb site, have a look on it its very informative, also a recent article by the times on fly fishing for bass in an area not to far from us, i have been practicing this way of catching bass down at cow gap and holywell in the last five or so years and i have introduced many fishing friends

to this new and growing sport( fly fishing for bass) and word is getting out because i have started to meet people from all over the country here on these rocks, its not surprising after you have experienced the thrill of just even a 3lb fish on such gear, unbelievable/heart stopping /wow/and i did not think that sea fish fought like this? is some of comments i have had after a successful days angling, its kind of hard to go back to chucking out a bunch of lugworms behind a chunk of lead and hauling in a fish on a stiff broom handle i can tell you.

Before i sign off Mr Waterson, this type of angling is the future" eastbourne can be part of it and its huge local financial benefit or it can continue down the path of not making the most use of one of its natural resources "bass"

There are other issues like illegal netting which i am currently dealing with and have taken up with our sea angling rep on the sussex sea fisheries committee, one such case regarding a practice which has been very damaging to our bass" and another sporting species the mullet" at the soveriegn harbour, i have the press release

from the ssfc and i could send you a copy if you like? i am trying to get a byelaw change so this type thing can be stopped all year rather than only for five months, as this committee has the legistrative power to do so locally.

With that i will end this letter to say thankyou for reading its contents and urge a swift reply to let me know if you support the recommended mls increase? and to help to nuture eastbourne's future as a mecca for bass sportfishing.

Yours sincerely

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Guest NickInTheNorth

Nice one Stavey, if I could make a suggestion though, always try and request some action from the MP etc such as asking a question of or communicating information to a minister.

That way the relevant government department also gets involved in whatever your letter is about.

More pressure that way!

Hi Wurzle,

Most of what you, big cod and Ian refer to concerns fishing way off shore.

My biggest concern is the first mile and how that effects the inshore nursery grounds.

These waters do get trawled and netted to destruction, Bournemouth Bay being one area where the shore fishing has declined over the years due to abuse.

RSAs can put their hands up for a small percentage of that damage, a much higher proportion of the damage goes to the weekenders who do not give a toss whether you or RSA have any fish left, and a percentage to commercials.

Protect that area and I am sure everyone will see a remarkable improvement.

I have caught a few nice bass this year but have refrained from posting on here for fear of these areas being targetted by inshore netters.

Had a bit of success in other directions as well but again no reports.

It is really sad that one has to think like this and not share the information with other RSAs.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist