Blanking, Popular word in here...

Spur-Hound

Shaun,

I'm a happy bunny......

The drive over didn't exactly go to plan, the snow started before I got 20miles from home and I was soon down to 20mph....sliding down the Lecht in 1st gear was interesting though!!! The 30min delay in roadworks at Roy Bridge didn't help either, so it was a late start.

One I got there though it was flat calm and a clear starry night, although a few squally showers battered past later on.

Fished 3-1/2 hrs at the church, had a couple of stonking runs that didn't hook up though judging by the chomped baits they were spurs. I also had a few rattles that looked like doggies but never hooked up with one. Then I connected with a much slower, more solid take and landed a 6lb 6oz thornie, a new PB so I was chuffed with that. A little later another positive take resulted in 6lb 10oz spur :) New shore species, job done!

All the dropped runs were on conventional hooks while the two I hooked were on circle hooks...mayeb a lesson learned.

As the tide came in I moved to the village just to explore another mark. Noticeably deeper water here so I was pretty hopeful of some more spurs. Again I got more rattly bites and another two good runs but no spurs. I did get another 3 thornies though, just about identical fish all about 2lb 0oz.

A long drive back, 4hrs by Perth this time to avoid the worst of the snow, but well worth it.

Cheers

Paul

All this talk of contamination on your hands is rubbish. I used to use a tilly in the sixties, and caught lots of Cod with meths and parafin on my hands. Never even thought about in those days. Now of course, we have to find a reason for not catching fish, because most anglers just will not accept THAT THE FISH HAVE ALL GONE!

Im very new to fishing and have only been out five times ever! First time caught a scorpion fish, next time a rockling and the next two times nothing, Bah!. So my question is, whats the longest run anyone has had at blanking?

Best regards

Sean Clark

www.underwaterimage.co.uk

sean@underwaterimage.co.uk

not sure about longest run but a memorable day last year springs to mind.

took mrs becky out fishing, started on the chesil with a load of mackerell, pollack & gar. took some mackerell for bait & went to west bay to try for the mullet in the harbour, no mullet but a mixed bag of species altogether about 40 fish.

becky fished along side me, using my rigs, same bait & similar rods - total blank, nothing. she lost her rag by the end of the day, reeling in and cussing, i started to pack up & reeled in a nice flounder. she didnt talk to me all the way home.