Starting Out

Paul Little

Hi Everyone

I'm new to fishing only doing course so far, what I really want to do is a bit of Beach Casting. I tried many years ago but I want to try it a bit more seriously. My question is this, as I'm on a limited budget can anyone suggest the tackle required to give me a fighting chance at a reasonable price.

Thanks alot

Paul

when we were touring last year i bought a rod reel bundle for a very good price from a southcoast tackle shop (lots of people will disagree with it) but i served me all the year and is still working now (my brother uses it) just a cheap 12ft 4-6oz rod and a fixed spool for under £50 ,it will at least get you going whilst you upgrade to a more respectable set ,second hand is fine if you know what your getting so take a seasond angler with you if you go down this path ,best of luck

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

No Chesters, I won`t disagree with you. Cheap starter outfits are what they say on the can. Starter outfits.

Paul. I`ve got a couple of these cheap outfits that I give to non fishing friends when I go out for a days fishing and they want to tag along? Much better to outgrow an outfit than to spend a fortune on gear that you`ll never use to its full potential. If you decide you like beach fishing I`m sure you`ll find a way to buy a better class outfit. Plenty of 2nd hand ones advertised in the angling press and various websites at reasonable prices.

Just give it a go Paul.

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

When I started out this year I bought a cheap multiplier and an ABU Enticer rod. The reel failed after four trial casts! So I returned it to the shop and exchanged it for an ABU 6500 C3. This reel retails at many shops way below it's RRP and I got one for £65. It has seen me through the learning curve, has been immersed in sea water, covered in fine sand, smeared with lug juice, dropped and stood up to all the accidental abuse that a learner could throw at it. It casts brilliantly for a level wind reel and has landed hundreds of fish...best investment I ever made. I have bought another ABU rod, the Agenda. This is a better beachcaster than the Enticer, still entry level but I can't fault it. The 6500 & Agenda are now my casting outfit and I get about 150yds out of it fully loaded. The Enticer is now teamed up with a Penn Surfmaster fixed spool, another brilliant reel and not too expensive. I use this outfit for chucking out big baits up to 100 yds for bass.

I would go for a recommended reel, an ABU or a Penn. These two manufacturers don't make poor reels, even at entry level! Any half decent rod that you like the feel of to start because I think you are unlikely to stick with any entry level rod for long if you get serious. Seems with rods, performance is related to price because of the high cost of the better carbon blanks.

My brother marching up the beach nursing another birdsnest..."buy cheap, buy twice mate...buy cheap buy twice!"

[ 26. October 2002, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: rufus ]

Paul Little:

Hi Everyone

Paul, I would advise a good second hand fixed spool for starting out and a rod with big eyes so the line runs out smoothly.

It might pay you to join a local fishing club if there is one near to you, that way you may be able to pick up some tackle without too much risk of being ripped off and also find an experienced fishing buddy as well.

Good luck

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Last post gets it in one.

You get advice, tips on where and when to fish, how to fish, baits, tackle, rigs, companions to go fishing with, insurance, club membership for competitions in the years to come, and above all you can pick up second hand gear from fellow club members knowing that they will not stiff you and risk losing their club membership, especially if they themselves are long serving members... in fact people will often loan you equipment that is surplus to their needs to see if you like the feel of it, and then you can buy it from them...

FWIW...

Kieran

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org