Anglers Throw Back “Monstrous” Interference From Brussels

Elton

Well, it goes both ways I guess, makes it eaiser for both parties to communicate with each other.

Consequently you should be against the formation of NUFTA, the National Under Ten Metre Fishermen's Association for the same reasons. Were/are you? I wonder if they would have got that cod quota increase had NUFTA not been formed?

http://fis.com/fis/worldnews/worldnews.asp?monthyear=1-2008&day=11&id=27014&l=e&country=&special=&ndb=1&df=0

Small-boat fishermen obtain increase in cod quota

Maybe I did not make myself clear, I am far from opposing the Angling Trust, as a PM member of the NFSA I will now be a member of the Angling Trust.

Hi Challenge,

I would agree the likes of Wurzle and other 10m men will have little or no problem with RSAs but they are not the ones bringing pressure to bare. The large corporate investors are the ones getting teed off with not only RSAs but any other marine stakeholder RSPB for one who are trying to bring about change. The biggest threats to these people are no take zones and they will be the ones to instigate quota actions against RSAs

Edited by Ken Davison South Wales

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Wurzel,

As I understand it several attempts have been made to create an angling unity body or similar over the last twenty years. I find it a bit odd to complain when these decades long efforts finally brings a result (yes I know, there will always be opponents no matter what's on the menu).

As for cod quota and NUFTA. I refered to what happened in January (the 2007 quotas):

Friday, January 11, 2008

Fisheries Minister Jonathan Shaw agreed to an immediate increase in the amount of small -cale UK cod fishers can catch in a bid to help the boats get back to sea. Fishers from across the country last Friday agreed to challenge the government in court over what they claim to be unfair fish quotas that limit them to harvesting one cod a day.

(...)

The group of fishers consequently formed NUTFA - the National Under Ten Metre Fishermen's Association, with Joy as the joint chairman along with Dave Cuthbert from the south west.

Joy and Rye MP Michael Foster presented the problems to Shaw this week, after which he agreed to increase the 100 kg limit to one tonne a month.

Hello FishingsFine

That was not a increase of the quota.

Defra allowed the fishermen to catch their total annual cod quota in just 2 months instead of being on a ridicules small monthly quota for 12 months, once the quota was caught the fishery was closed for the rest of the year.

The fishermen’s aim was to at least earn something for a couple of months early in the year when there is little else to catch hoping that by the time the quota was up there would be some summer species to fish for.

If you consider this a successful victory for NUFTA you need to bare in mind that 1 ton of cod equates to between £1,600 and £2,000, not a lot divided between 2 men and a boat for a months work and no extra quota was acquired and come the Autumn large amounts of cod caught while fishing for soles had to be dumped , There were no winners here just losers .

I was just wondering how would the Angling Trust divide up cod quota to different areas , there would not be enough to keep every body happy all the time it would not be management otherwise . I imagine anglers in the south or south east would not be happy if the charter boats from Whitby had caught all the quota wreck fishing during the summer months leaving none left for the winter fishery further south.

You may laugh but it likely to become the reality.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Maybe I did not make myself clear, I am far from opposing the Angling Trust, as a PM member of the NFSA I will now be a member of the Angling Trust.

Hi Challenge,

I would agree the likes of Wurzle and other 10m men will have little or no problem with RSAs but they are not the ones bringing pressure to bare. The large corporate investors are the ones getting teed off with not only RSAs but any other marine stakeholder RSPB for one who are trying to bring about change. The biggest threats to these people are no take zones and they will be the ones to instigate quota actions against RSAs

Ken please explain how some large corporate investor with a 15 million pound tankship working 300 miles north of Peterhead catching mackerel or herring think that RSA are a threat.

Nobody thinks RSA are a threat! There are some who consider them as a meal ticket.

I fish to live and live to fish.