5d Mark II Star Trails

Chippy

Nice one Chippy, and pin sharp too..did you use imagesplus for the stacking? And did you light the foreground or was that ambient? And how big was each file you stacked?

I've been meaning to have a go at this and was even considering it last night but was a little over the limit to drive out anywhere :lol:

I have recently used a mapping tool "Memory Map" with which you can get a 3d landscape of the map your viewing, and so work out good locations for this when combined with the local knowledge I have of the lakes.

Buttermere in 3d, Fleetwith Pike in the background.

mapbut.gif

So far I have three locations I consider a "must try".

When will you attempt the "Full Circle"?

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Hi Steve

I used Imagestacker for them. The foregrounds were just lit with the ambient light. The slipway lighting was a mixture of halogen and sodium, a real pain to try and get the white balance right when I edited the RAWs. I still don't think it's quite right as the sodiums, together with the bit of the sea that it lit, look a little magenta still.

The 22mp files are 14-15MB per JPEG, and 25MB. A full circle - I think I'll need some bigger CF cards!

Do you know if that mapping software also covers Jersey?

Oh, forgot to mention that the little electronic level that I posted a few weeks go about, was absolutely superb in the dark last night. Wouldn't be without it now for sure.

Edited by Chippy

Yeah I sold it a few months ago. Although the 1D and the Ds were great bodies, most of the stuff I do is landscapes........the 22mp plus the bonus of a brilliant LCD, full frame, weathersealing, etc was too hard to resist and is much better suited to what I shoot.

With the grip on the camera is about the size of the 1D and the battery life is superb - over 2 hours of 30" exposures last night in the frezzing cold, still left 75% using two batteries. Bit of a shame Canon didnt spend the extra pound or so that it would have cost them, and made the battery charger to take two batteries like the 1D.

Not on the UK map...but looked at the memory map site and found this from France..http://www.memory-map.co.uk/maps_france_onland_top25.htm.

Couldn't see a reference to Jersey but I guess it must be on one of the coastal maps.

The map I displayed above was at 1:50,000 scale..it looks like the French ones are 1:125,000, but there could be others there I did not see.

I'll be interested in how you get on with the new 5D, the old one was prone to letting things into the viewfinder/debris and even water! How new is it to you, a christmas passie?

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Impressive stuff Chippy, and Steve, whoa, thats heavy stuff fella. I'm looking forward to seeing more shots from the 5D2 Chippy. I've talked Tracy in to it. I've just got to get a new window put in the back room ($10 000) then I can get the camera. Me thinks me needs a second job too ; )

rb_getcreative.gif