To clip or not to clip, that is the question.

*Ant*

Hello all, came over to the sea section to get your opinions again.

I'm only an occasional shore angler (usually 3 weeks a year), and my stock rig tends to be a two hook flapper with size 1 or 1/0 Aberdeens. Now I know of clipped-up rigs but I don't use them because of a lack of confidence in them releasing. I'd really like to hear your thoughts on the said rig and as i'm not a great distance caster, would like to know if the clipped rigs would make a big difference?

Many thanks :)

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

depends... i have found the "bait protector" (black cone things) work 99% of the time, but i find they do limit bait size a litle....they also seem to work best with 1 ups...anything more complex tends to annoy me more than the extra cast distance i lose, although the 1 down type that runs up over a clip and back down work well, but they can be a bitch in un ideal circumstances

there are rigs that use wire and a sleeve, i;ve found them to be pains in the derriere

Aanthony.

Bait clips are meant to stop the bait flying off the hook on a strong cast?

At the business end of the cast. The cone shaped bait clips (refered to by gonefishing) release the baited hooks as the rig hits the water. The standard metal clips rely on the weight hitting the sea bed and a `bounce effect` will free the hooks.

Unless you want to cast out more than about 60-70yds, then don`t worry about bait clips. Bait elastic will bind soft baits to your hooks.

However. If ever you find the need to wellie out a soft bait( Lug?), then using bait clips will save you seeing some of the bait landing just a few yards in front of yourself.

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Sorry Aanthony.

Just realised you`d posted a Weymouth question on the N/G re boats this w/end?

You won`t find any boats willing to do half a day trips!! You will find at high season, either TopcatII or Flamer offering evening trips?

As Ivan Wellington (TopCatII) has only just recieved his new boat, I doubt he`ll be offering evening trips until he`s given his new cat a thorough `shake-down`. Same goes with Colin Penny on Flamer? He`s got a new `Evo` Offshore due in the next few mounths?

But why not give Andy Selby a bell at Weymouth Angling Centre 01305 777771. At least he`ll know the score as to whether there are any spaces left.

Paul.

BTW, the black cone shaped device you guys mention, are you refering to the Breakaway Impact Shield. I've read that some of the "copies" aren't very reliable? :confused:

yeh that sounds like the thing...gemini make the ones i have, but i've ripped off others from old rigs i've bought..they all seem the same to me

perhaps try an off the shelf job and see how you get on with it...it will save u time and effort trying to work out how to set them up yourself and will probably be the same price + if you dont like the rig u can just canabalise it for another one :)

aanthony?

N/G? Sorry!!

I seem to have mixed you up with anthony that has just appeared on the uk.rec.seafishing newsgroup?

:rolleyes: Paul. :rolleyes:

No problem Paul, had me thinking hard as I have fished at Weymouth a few times but counldn't remember posting on the subject.....thought I was losing me marbles! :D