Bye bye Tope.....

chubsta

I think that it is worth pointing out that there has for as long as I can remember, certainly for the last 20 years, been a market for tope.

I have caught and sold the occasional tope caught as a by-catch via my local market. There is a demand for them in France, howevever I have never seen or heard of anyone delberateley targeting this species.

Why should this change now because one fish merchant says that he will try to develope a market for them?

Any one who believes there is quick money to be made at commercial fishing does not live in the real world.

"I fish therefore I am"

quote:

I have caught and sold the occasional tope caught as a by-catch via my local market. There is a demand for them in France, howevever I have never seen or heard of anyone delberateley targeting this species.

Why should this change now because one fish merchant says that he will try to develope a market for them?

Surely common sense will tell you that if the fish merchant succeeds in developing this market every North Sea Pirate will be heading for the Tope grounds to make some of that non existent quick money.

Then again maybe I'm not in touch with the real world and its pillaged seas.

Captain Sensible:

The point is that the market has always been there.

Yep, I'd agree with that, just because our fleet doesn't fish for certain species it doesn't mean that other nationalities don't. The reality is that it's more hassle to export 'cheap' fish to the continent, so most don't bother. French and Alderney commercial fishermen longline for tope around Alderney virtually all year round.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com