VFM Fishing

A Norfolk Boy

I'm always looking for ways to cut the cost of fishing. With Lug being £16+ per hundred it can get rather expensive but we do need them for the cod. Anyway, with current pressure systems, wind and tide there was no point in wasting my money as they wouldn't be in anyway. Yesterday I went up to a little (family inshore supplied) fish shop on the coast. Decent size herring were 8 for a quid. They were as fresh as you can get. Used 3, (less than 40p worth) and from my catch brought home 5 fat dabs.

My philsophy here, as with tackle is that you don't always need to spend the earth and can enjoy yourself on a shoestring.

Incidentally, given the cost of lug, I am seeing more people using other baits despite lug being king, one chap even caught a bag of whiting on pigs liver.

Guest jay_con

Shame to waste it though its cracking with gravy and mash.

Your right about the bait thing though. You can get mackeral, squid, razer, mussels and many other potential baits ffrom the fish counter at morrisons, plus if you dont go fishing because its crap you can always enjoy the squid in a beautiful stir fry.

Who needs rick steins advice when youve got winter. :D:D

we are lucky here, we can go out and get our own mussels, lug, rag and macky(when in season) we just buy out of the tackle shop when the urge takes us to go fishing there and then and we have nothing in the freezer.

I'm sure meat in all its forms is much under-explored as bait. I've found luncheon meat an excellent all-rounder in coarse fishing, and we've heard about bass on bacon on this forum. I've caught various fish on steak in Botswana, its got to be worth a try, at least on one rod!

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk