Kayak Rigging

Yakity - Yak - u.k.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yakity at the buying stage but haven't made the decision. Dont know what size will fit into my flat!

Do you know anything about the BIC yaks? The bilbao is looking ok to me as its only 10feet and I can borrow it first to see if it fits.

How have you got on with those dry trousers you bought? I have those Farmer Johns shown above but need more than that for the early months of this year.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

:D:D Central Heating..??

Yes Zig, drill away, but you need to be carfull mate, increase hole sizes gradualy, rather than try to do it in one hit.

all the holes you drill will need to be reinforced on the inside of the Yak,..not a problem for you as you have plenty of room to manouver.

Use washers, and maybe small pieces of thin ply to spread the pressure on the Yak surfaces, gripfill them on the inside.

Be careful of the contours in the Yak, scewing or bolting on things to tight may split the hull.

Being fibreglass, it dosnt have the amount of give that our plastic logs have.

With the ply (if you use any) soak it in hot water first, this will make it easier to shape.

Another option may be to use thick rubber on the inside, use nuts, bolts and large washers, stainless steel preferably, with locking nuts.

Dont forget to sit in the Yak, and picture where your going to fix things, and check they dont get in the way of anything, and are easey to reach.

Have fun, and dont forget some pics :)

YY

Hi Tony,

Took a look at the Bic Yaks, the bilbao, from the pics, looks like it has a high centre of gravity, meaning you are sat high up in the Yak, this would make the Yak feel a bit tippy.

In wind and choppy seas this may be a problem for you.

I cant remember your hieght and wieght Tony, what are they ??

I dont know too much about the Yaks to be honest, but looking at the pics you would be far better off with the Ocean Kayak Caper.

Being one of the smaller Yaks at 11ft, it is also a highly thought of Yak with a great track record.

If you can squeeze 11ft into your flat, Id say go for the Caper.

Hope this helps you.

YY :)