Downtide Boom Variations

John E Ashford

I like to use the middle one, it has less drag.

but it does tangle fishing a sand bank when the tide starts to move.

so I turn to a ball weight onto the main line and drift.

if the tube one(top) does work any better in a lot of tide, I'd like some feed back as to how it performs, and or what you like to use when fishing a spring tide.

For some downtide fishing when I want a trace over 6ft long, I use a variation on the sliding boom.

The boom is slid onto the reel line, then I have a 3ft long hook length, secured to the reel line with a swivel and stop bead.

The bait is then fed out, until the required length is reached.

The boom has a twisted arm that the trace line is wound around and then pushed into a rubber slot, at the end of the boom.

When the fish is being landed the boom is down at the stop bead, leaving a manageable trace length.

I can,t remember the name of the boom and can,t find a picture either.

But its worth trying.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Posted Image

Hi Cranfield

These are examples of Uptide Booms.

The top one is short 115mm and in one piece.

The downtide boom is very similar but comes in two pieces and the very long one in three pieces.

The end where the weight hangs is detachable from the twisted shaft on the downtide boom.

At the other end I’ve tried to show the rubber with a slit in it, that holds your line and detaches when the fish makes a run. Therefore selfhooking.

Ziplok Whisker Booms, I think they are called.

Cheers 4 Now

John E

ANBanna.gif

John.

I prefer a ziplex slider in conjunction with a slightly over sized weight. Just remember to lower the rig slowly, so the trace flows away from the mainline? I`ve found that plastic booms can be sawn through by braid. So you either have to use a long mono trace (from behind the boom) or have to add beads.

:P Paul. :P

We don`t use J`s anymore!!