fish sleeping

***Simon***

I think all the bass are asleep around hear this year as they certainly aint biteing.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

I think the idea of sleep as we know it is not something that a creature that lives in an enviroment where its eat or be eaten can enjoy.

They must be constantly aware of what is around them or safely tucked away in a hidey hole that larger predators cant get to or camoflaged.

Stan. i think the sharks you are refering t are Nurse sharks. Quite high up the foodchain and as such can allow themseves a prolonged rest period. The smaller the fish the more care it needs to take when resting either by hiding or using camoflage.

I would guess that skate just use the same principle they use when u hook them ..."i fancy a nap....pass the nail gun and the six inch nails cos I dont want to drift away!"

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

With wrasse, Its all down to water temperature. They go into a winter hibernation, and won't feed even when food passes their noses. The Ballans usually switch on last week in May, and the cuckoo a few weeks later. They were three weeks late this year because of the cold spring.

My pal longlined skate of Loch Aline pier for the Deep sea world. They found they would always catch more skate at night. I suspect most mmbers of the shark family feed better at night.

I use to have a doggie in my tank and it would lie dormant through the day and prowl the tank at night.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Although this is a very interesting post, its a tad sad when all we can find to talk about is fishes sleeping habits.Must be due to the lack of bass.

Ive also caught more thornies at night, but there have been so many this year it didnt realy warrent night fishing.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Ian Burrett:

I use to have a doggie in my tank and it would lie dormant through the day and prowl the tank at night.

They have a pool at my local aquarium with a handful of conger to 30lb in with a couple of rays, turbot and a few huss and doggies. They have to leave a dim light on at night otherwise the conger go into hunting mode and start chasing the other fish. The fish get so active that the water 'rocks' from end to end of the pool!!

[ 07. August 2005, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: Toerag ]

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com