How to plumb your swim

dutch1862

no problems with doing that!! i have seen top match anglers getting to a swim and getting a notebook out that they or someone else has given them advice upon!! something I should do more instead of simply trying to remember in my head!!

wait wait wait, dip, strike, net, wait wait wait.....

Thanks everyone. Some top advice there that reinforces my view that it is an important thing to do.

As I work in IT and as much as I hate am probably a little bit geeky I can see I'm going to end up taking a notebook and pencil with me so I can sketch a quick diagram of the swim and record the various depths!

And far worse than that it's adding to my desperation to get out on the bank and try all of these things out! Ah well it's only this month and next that I need to get through of working full-time and studying part-time!

An excellent idea, I have similar maps of various lakes. It really helps.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

If you're REALLY sad you can print out a Google Earth map (whole lake, each swim, whatever) to mark your notes on. Well that's what I heard anyway... :whistling:

Geoff

Geoff, that sounds like you've had some experience on that front! I'll confess to using Google Earth recently to look at venues I used to fish to see how they might have changed. It never crossed my mind to print out the map. Now that I think about it I'm not sure how obvious swims/pegs will stand out, I guess it depends on the resolution provided by Google or just on how familiar you are with the venue.

Any experiences on resolution and such like that you'd care to share!?! Maybe some anglers have been kind enough to mark pegs on some maps; I seem to think you can mark items of interest on Google maps?

Having a print out of the venue sounds like a great idea. Not really in keeping of my aim to not be geeky, but hey ho!

Rob

http://www.anglingwiki.com

Angling Wiki - the free online fishing encyclopaedia!