Kayakfishing chat

Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Yakity - Yak:

Although looking at them they dont appear to offer much security in the seat department, very up there and exposed, not much to grip you,the finnish on the skis looks fantastic.

YY, I had the same thought about the seat but since a 'seat back' is one of the options, I'm guessing there will be something to give your tush a more secure hold on the boat than just that slick looking and very shallow indentation. I think they generate some serious waves down there at times so there has to be some way for the angler to stay with the boat.

Fin-S, we would really love to see some 'action photos' of the boats at sea and fishing if you could manage it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ken,

The Yak would be ideal for what you want to do.

You see so much more from a Yak, total freedom to go where you want, and go quietly.

Paddleing through that early morning mist towards your swim.

On a personal note, how tall are you, and what do you wiegh, roughly.

Have you seen a Yak that takes your fancy yet ?

Nice to have you in the thread.

Yakity. :)

YY. I'm 5' 10" and currently about 17st but still loosing weight (I was just over 19st this time last year) and I know that these things have a max recomended payload.

Personally. I'm inclined towards a yak that's short and wide for stability and this shape would also appear to be easier to get back onto if I decide on an imprompyur swim - although I'm willing to listen to other peoples opinions about what shape is easiest to climb back onto,

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Thanks for the welcome guys. It has been popoular for about 4 years now but is growing more and more every year. Generally we view the yak as a glorified surf board rather than as a small boat hence we often spend time in the water, but with a vest and the warm water it is not too much of a problem. Also it is actually quite difficult to get tossed out of once you are familiar with the balance. The local yaks have a reasonable 'V' to help the surf handling and quite a flat rear end for stability. As Newt mentioned, most of us have back rests as well so they are not that bad. With regard to handling the fish, a short leader, a small gaff and a big priest tend to subdue most of them, and as we fish in pairs if the fish is really difficult then we help each other. (Last season some of the guys fishing Mozambique even managed to CAR sailies and a black marlin of about 120kgs!)Unfortunately I live in Cape Town where I do not use the yak due to the shark situation, but when I am next in Durban (about a fortnight) I will hopefully get some early season pics of the launch and some tunny (if that hasn't put the curse on them). Also I have attached a cut out from the local rag....

Conversation is the forerunner to conservation.

Five Great White sharks spoiled the day on Sunday for hundreds of bathers looking for relief from the summer heat.

The alarm was raised shortly after 3pm and caused bathers in the water anxious moments as they tried to get out of the water as quickly as possible.

Muizenberg's Surfer's Corner and Sunrise Beach were closed for bathing until 9am on Monday after the sharks were spotted 100m from the coastline.

'When he saw the shark from the air his opinion quickly changed'

Nick Reyneke of SA Surf Lifesaving, who was in a patrol helicopter, said "the water was clear and they were definitely Great Whites".

"It's uncommon for sharks to be so close to popular beaches. It's cause for concern ... we're worried about the bathers."

He said a surfskier at Fish Hoek was lifted out of the water by their rescue helicopter after they spotted a shark following him.

"He was annoyed that we had asked him to get out of the water but when he saw the shark from the air his opinion quickly changed and he thanked us," said Reyneke.

Conversation is the forerunner to conservation.

Great White is to Kayak (& Kayaker)

as

Gator is to Deer (see the coarse section - Exciting thread)

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Fin-s.

I reckon there is a lot more skill needed to stay on your Skis, than we need to hopefully, stay in our Yaks :D

At the moment we are lucky not to have them toothy critters in our waters, in any numbers.

On the other hand we could do with some of the other big fellas:D

Still, a fish is a fish, and just being out there, is a pleasure in itself.

Good luck with your trip, we would love to see some pics on the water, if you can find somewhere to put thee camera:D :P

Look forward to your next post.

Yakity. :)

Hi Newt,

Deer deer me :rolleyes:you certainly know how to instill confidence in a guy :D

That Tanker would take a Yak with ease, and its rider,.....I just hope Salar dosnt see that :D

There would have been bubbles in his trousers too, aswell as on the creek.

I didnt see the backrest on the Skis, yep they would certainly help out.

Bet they move on the water nicely, not like our old buckets :D

It would be a real pleasure and experience to fish over there in your part of the world.

I have Dived around Belize, and the Blue Holes, and that was fantastic.

Stayed on St Georges Key, wonderful.

Saw some toothy critters then, but only little ones,Barracuda are the spooky folk,difficult to spot when under there, two beedy black eyes :D

Anyway,....see you later Alligator :rolleyes :)

Yakity.