Conger ?

FearTheHands

I fished West Bay, Dorset yesterday evening & think I caught my first conger. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me so I'm only going on looks.

It was a tiddler, about 9 inches long.

Are there conger about this time of year & at that location ? Or am I mistaking it for something else ?

I've done a picture search on google & it looks like a conger. I'm sure someone can put me straight.

FearTheHands.gif

Knowing my luck if I were a buddhist I'd come back as myself ...

FTH, I would put my money on a silver eel, they tend to run through this time of year to spawn, not 100% sure but I know i've had a few along chesil this time of year and their all the same sort of size, about 9".

Scotty

No Luck This Time..............Roll On Next Time

Cheers for your replies.

The mouth of the eel looked wider & more flat than a conger, so it sounds like it could be a silver eel?

I was fishing about 1000 yards away from the harbour.

Are silver eels & freshwater eels one & the same ?

[ 11. March 2005, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: FearTheHands ]

FearTheHands.gif

Knowing my luck if I were a buddhist I'd come back as myself ...

silver eels are also a species that are under extrordinary pressure.they like the bass have a very slow growth cycle.

The salary of the chief executive of a large corporation is not a market award for achievement. It is frequently in the nature of a warm personal gesture by the individual to himself.

John Kenneth Galbraith