Angling Etiquette

gozzer

How nice to read that!

Whenever I mention Jim Bazley it's usually "Eh? Wot?"

Numerous specimens to his name, and twice winner of the All-England - it was he who put me onto floating crust for carp before Dick Walker was even heard of.

It's hardly surprising considering I come from Leeds Dave :) .

I used to sit and look at those fish for ages, interrupted only by my father or one of his mates coming in to see if I was OK, and to bring another bottle of pop.

I used to dream about those 'monsters', and how I would someday catch fish to match them.

The case with the pike was the centrepiece, (31lb+ if I remember right) and caught at Hornsey Mere. Then the case with the two huge roach, one of which weighed over 3lb (again caught at Hornsey Mere, if I remember right).

Both cases had JHR Bazley in gold lettering across the bottom of the glass front.

Strangely although the pike was the 'monster' of the exhibition, it was the roach that inspired me most, and I'm still waiting for the elusive 2lber, never mind the 3.

I believe he fished in three of the five 'All England' titles that Leeds won.

My uncle, Harry Longthorne and his brother George both fished for Leeds in the years around WW2 and after.

So did you actually meet the man Dave?

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I'm quite happy to talk to anyone who approaches me and asks in a civil manner how I'm doing, it seems like a perfectly logical way to open a conversation with someone who's fishing. If I'm walking a lake and see an angler in full camo gear lying on his stomach some five yards back from the waters edge then I'll figure that he's stalking and probably won't be in the mood for a chat. Carpman sitting on his bedchair watching a DVD with three matching rods on the pod is fair game but strangely can be reluctant to enter into any meaningful exchange for fear of giving away any secrets, or missing the vital bit of the movie.

I don't think we should get too hung up on angling etiquette, non anglers provided they are polite can talk to me anytime and if they unintentionally ruin my days fishing then I've always got other days.

I can to some extent understand a non angler walking up to you without thinking, ( would that same person walk up to a guy taking a putt on your local golf course, I wonder?) but a fellow angler should really know better.

And you don't need to be dressed in 'Realtree' or crawl on your belly, to catch fish a few feet from the bank. It just needs a little patience, and the least amount of disturbance.

I have often stood a few yards from anglers and watched them for a while, and then left without them knowing I was there.

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

People see good manners as a weakness nowadays and try to take advantage.

Ain't that the truth.

I can never work out whether some people are genuinely thick and have no idea about good manners or whether they know exactly what they're doing and are taking the p*$$.

I'm easy going, I'll chat to anyone who comes along but some people are just unbearable. I never go out of my way to chat to people though. I normally go fishing to get away from people!

Last season I was walking along a towpath with my pike gear. I could see a guy deadbaiting in the distance and as I got closer he was obviously prepared for a chat but I just a polite "hello" without stopping. He probably thought I was a rude bugger! But I know how secretive pikers like to be so I didn't see much point in stopping. I'll go out of my way to avoid people on rivers too.

If I'm fishing public areas then I'm always polite and ready for a chat. It's just something you have to accept.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

I keep saying I'm out of tune with much of todays thinking, as far as angling methods are concerned. But from what I see on the bank, and assume from some posts on here, I'm well out of date with what's acceptable or expected as reasonable behaviour in angling today.

Hey John...

What I would give for a walk around that club... I too grew up when people had different attitudes, not just towards angling Per Se... but towards each other in general.

Like you, I was made aware by me Da and Uncles ('not related') what was expected behaviour... I remember getting more than one clip around the ear for not paying attention to what I was doing and interrupting a fisherman when I wasn't supposed to. But back then, that's how we learnt.

If I did speak quietly to an angler, he was always addressed as Sir... and I found that he would recognize when I was going out of my way,,, not to get in his, and would usually acknowledge that fact by letting me stick around a bit longer. I made many friends... many of them old enough to be my Grandad. These old fellas taught me a lot... that taught me to fish properly... they taught me respect... what a wonderful gift.

These days people don't have common manners or for that matter common sense... and if you say something to them, then your the cretin...

It is a sad commentary when we disrespect other people, but it has become common place now. It costs nothing to be polite... some of the people you describe do what they do out of ignorance... me Da always said that was a poor excuse... (usually just before he clipped me on the ear again). Others do it out of indifference... even worse in my opinion.

I wish I had an answer, John.... all I can do... is try and set an example to others. When I go fishing I clean the area I'm going to fish of all rubbish... line... plastic bottles etc... and then I start to fish... trying to teach this to my boy was hard at first,,, but then one day he was complimented for doing it, by an old man passing by... and I never had to ask him again... he'd just jump out of the van and grab the trash bags and head to the bank.

It's up to blokes like us to teach the young angler and non angler alike...... we can't just give up the ghost and let it go... if we do that.... all we are... is accomplices.

Keep at it mate... it's gonna get worse before it gets even worse...

Respectfully... :thumbs:

Rob J

Palm Springs Ca.

Show me someone who thinks they know everything...

I'll show you a fool...

Leave the area you fish... cleaner than it was before you got there !!!!

I find most anglers out on the rivers and the trouties on reservoirs fine...IMO a bit of banter is always good.

Worst for etiquette are the long stay carpers on commercials, majority seem to be knuckle headed builders who think just because they have their eye on 'percy' the 30lb carp everyone else should do one!

I think I must be lucky, as I don't get much of this. However, it's self-selecting to a point, I don't fish day ticket places and when I fish club waters (which is most of the time) I'm either on a stretch of river and either see nobody else or one like-minded soul every now and again, or I'm fishing the gravel pits for species other than carp. Syndicates are a separate matter, the main reason (for me) for joining one is to make sure I can fish in peace and quiet with people who hold similar values.

The carp boys on my local lakes are a funny bunch - despite having huge BBQs, TVs, and enough booze to almost kill them, they're very friendly and never aggressive or difficult. I mainly fish for the tench, so they know I'm not after their secrets, and in return for tenchy information I pass on any carp news I've heard. Carpers, once they realise you're not after their carp, often have the best information about the lake and catches of other fish, which they're only too happy to share, as long as you give them something in return.

It's quite easy to tell who doesn't mind a chat and who wants to be left alone. If they're not interested, just give them a quick 'good luck' and move on.

Fishing to me is getting away from the busy modern day-to-day life, I can't see any point in fishing somwehere where you get hassled, annoyed, lectured or your day ruined by inconsiderate people. If I want that I'll go to work and get paid for the inconvenience :rolleyes:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

So did you actually meet the man Dave?

Alas, no.

..but my fishing mate's father had his book which we studied and tried to put into practice. (I soon bought my own copy after leaving school and earning dosh)

Its a measure of the man that he was even held in awe " 'ere dahn sahrf"

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Agree Anderoo, just got to select venues where you can get a bit of space etc.

I've moved off all commercials now and fish trout waters and rivers (when open) so have managed to get back to what's fishing's about, relaxing

Guest Rabbit

Think you are right John, if I feel the need to speak to another angler I approach very carefully, and soon get the message if they do not wish to speak.

I too do not always want to chat and most anglers seem to be able to sense that, dogs never do and 'caught any 'fing mister'' kids. :rolleyes:

I can never work out whether some people are genuinely thick and have no idea about good manners or whether they know exactly what they're doing and are taking the p*$$.

My wife and I were talking about something similiar the other day. I think we both made it to the conclusion that 'Nice guys finish last'. We were discussing this. It does sort of ring true in my opinion. What etiquette is? Definitely learned behavior. Like it or not morals go a long way. Similiar to driving faster than the speed limit when no one is watching. I would expect to be treated the same as I would treat others. A simple thank you costs nothing and goes a long way towards a conversation.

Edited by Jeff S

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...