Extra manual fuctions . . . "what does that do"?

Sutton Warrior

Have focused the mind recently with the 'RAW' thing as on-gowing . . . how do I get the best out of my camera. We talk of manual function, tweeking the normal apature, shutter and ISO control. But how many use the inner menu controls, like, 'colur ballance', 'contrast', 'temperature' and 'vivid', there are others and I suspect we leave them on normal or auto? I am working out at present, which are best to try, some seem to almost duplicate each other? But there is no doubt, a whole extra bucket load of subtle options are avaliable to the modern DSLR user that has been, in my case, ignored?

These menu fuctions could, I suspect be taken care of in RAW processing, but as most of use use JPG . . . I think more impact or vitality could be put into pictures especialy in the duller winter months with the tweeking of these secondary menu options.

Any one else looked at their 'destruction' book and on camera menu lately? Do you look and wonder, "what does that do"??

SW

Have focused the mind recently with the 'RAW' thing as on-gowing . . . how do I get the best out of my camera. We talk of manual function, tweeking the normal apature, shutter and ISO control. But how many use the inner menu controls, like, 'colur ballance', 'contrast', 'temperature' and 'vivid', there are others and I suspect we leave them on normal or auto? I am working out at present, which are best to try, some seem to almost duplicate each other? But there is no doubt, a whole extra bucket load of subtle options are avaliable to the modern DSLR user that has been, in my case, ignored?

These menu fuctions could, I suspect be taken care of in RAW processing, but as most of use use JPG . . . I think more impact or vitality could be put into pictures especialy in the duller winter months with the tweeking of these secondary menu options.

Any one else looked at their 'destruction' book and on camera menu lately? Do you look and wonder, "what does that do"??

SW

I always shoot RAW, purely for that reason - everything can be changed afterwards. That way I can concentrate on exposure and compisition and getting all the basics right, without worrying too much about whether I got the colour temperature etc right at the time.

Same as..shoot in RAW, adjust/process later. Why have the camera control you and your photo's?

You mention vivid and vitality in your post SW, I'm not familiar with Nikon settings but wonder if its similar to the new Photoshop adjustment layers option in CS4 called "Vibrance". Vibrance essentially saturates colours that are not already saturated, might the settings you mention be something similar? (It should say in your manual)

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Same as..shoot in RAW, adjust/process later. Why have the camera control you and your photo's?

You mention vivid and vitality in your post SW, I'm not familiar with Nikon settings but wonder if its similar to the new Photoshop adjustment layers option in CS4 called "Vibrance". Vibrance essentially saturates colours that are not already saturated, might the settings you mention be something similar? (It should say in your manual)

Steve...:)

Thats about it Steve, extra colour staturation levels are; Normal, Softer, Vivid and More Vivid, with Nikon, if the menu settings are set to 'normal' colours are very true, but, can be a bit boring sometimes, hense, I will use 'Vivid'. The option I have discovered recently is 'Contrast' of which there are 5 levels including Normal. Obviously contrast might be usefull on a hazy, misty day, or a flat light situation in the winter, I suspect 'contrast and some extra colour' might be of use? Not tried it all yet still digging down through the menus in my D80 :rolleyes: They are not hiden simply, my mind is in an 'enquiring receptive mode' at the moment.

There is the question, of RAW or not? As has been mentioned on this thread and many times on the forum, 'RAW post camera manipulation', can be time consuming, its not encouraged (or allowed?) in the competition. I've been looking at ways of extracting the best from my camera, even upgrading to a D90? . . . Much more coste efective to get the best from the camera I have! Plus, a better spec., camera aint going to produce better pictures, its he, or she, who drives the camera that makes the picture in this modern digital age.

However my thoughts were, the fact that a lot is made of the standard maual functions, but did anybody consider the other subtle veriable functions in the menus of modern DSLR's worthy of consideration. Thinking about it we never had such niceties in the days of film, main functions, the only other veriable was film type and maufacturer, colour saturation was always something to strive for in those days, then it was down to the processing for any further change? Would'nt it be nice to take a picture, put it on the screen and have that satisfying feeling, 'got it right, nothing to do, print' :1a:

SW

Cliff,

Has that new computer arrived yet??

I guess when it does you will be absent for a few days setting it up and generally playing with it??

Colin

Hi Colin, it was suposed to arive today . . . however, I had a phone call this morning to say it will be delvered tomorow morning . . . irretating . . . perhaps not? At least they had the courtesy to phone and let me know, they do seem to do things the right way.

I had an answer to my email the other day:

"Yes, we supply genuine holographic Microsoft disk and COA sticker.

All as it should be done."

I have also had an email confirmation of despatch to day with 'interLink Express, and that it will be deliverd 17/1/09

Thats the right way to operate and worth a :thumbs: in my book, very business like, lets hope the computer is as good :D

Absent from the Forum, I supose so . . . ??? If I have any problem you might get a call, if thats OK????

SW

Hi Colin, it was suposed to arive today . . . however, I had a phone call this morning to say it will be delvered tomorow morning . . . irretating . . . perhaps not? At least they had the courtesy to phone and let me know, they do seem to do things the right way.

I had an answer to my email the other day:

"Yes, we supply genuine holographic Microsoft disk and COA sticker.

All as it should be done."

I have also had an email confirmation of despatch to day with 'interLink Express, and that it will be deliverd 17/1/09

Thats the right way to operate and worth a :thumbs: in my book, very business like, lets hope the computer is as good :D

Absent from the Forum, I supose so . . . ??? If I have any problem you might get a call, if thats OK????

SW

No probs!!

I'm pleased it's working out well as there's nothing worse that recommending something to somebody and it all goes t!ts up.

I might try them myself now I know they are OK :D :D :D

Colin