New Multiplier Help

islander

Can anyone suggest a good all round multiplier for shore fishing and perhaps a suitable matching rod. Having recently got back into fishing I'm using my 23 year old Penn Surfmaster 200 which I bought from new, it's fine for 3oz leads but with no spool control (other than play adjustment)I found it was more likely to overrun with 5oz leads, it's the only multiplier I've ever used.

I've seen the Abu 6000 (made in Sweden??)still selling new on ebay and wondered what your thoughts were on this reel or any other which would suit e.g the Millionaire range.

I generally fish for Bass/Flounder/Whiting using a 12 ft beachcaster. I'm after a compromise between distance and reliable operation. I'm a fairly competant caster but just trying to catch up with all the new reels available. Pricewise I suppose upto and around the £100 is my budget.

ps I've never used brake blocks or magnetic stop reels.

many thanks :) ...........

I have a couple of 6500 C3 CT MAG ELITE's for sale - literally as new with Line @ £68.00ea - PERFECT REELS - NOT used MORE than 3 times each by man with no apitude for a CT!!!!

Genuine SALE

Clive

PS no BOXES THOUGH......

V VERY EASY TO USE - SWEAR.........

BassMan - The holder of Possibly Very Good Catches - Luv to fish from Yaks!!!!

Don't go cheap, don't go levelwind, would advise a large power handle, possibilties penn 525 mag £115, (525 GS reviewed here as not being a long caster), daiwa slx20shv £90 (not the sl20sh - as 525gs), 6500 abu mag elite £90, you could do a lot worse than an abu mag CT ...... it runs oh so smooth (compared to my 525 mag) and the mag control is great; you should never get an overun. Don't let it rot in the seawater though. Other people may have some other ideas.

Rods? Personally I wouldn't want to advise as there are people on here who will be better placed to do that but when you do buy, look at a combo deal; most dealers will mix and match. Or buy secondhand, see what is best and cheapest.

I never had any problems with a Penn Surfmaster 200 and weights up to 8oz. If you want to keep using it, take off the end cap and put a small piece of soft leather inside. It gives you a very fine adjustment.

I use Penn 535 GS's now most of the time with very few problems. If you are, as you say, a competant caster, then try one instead of spending another £50 on a Mag model.

What is your budget for a rod?

[ 26. January 2005, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

ABU Mag elite mate best real going both for beginers and all...

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

ABU SportsMag good If you like an almost no setting Mag reel!!

Just be careful with end cap - marks V easily!!!

BassMan - The holder of Possibly Very Good Catches - Luv to fish from Yaks!!!!