log on as administrator or other user account

Clifftop

No mate im basic as.

i have no doubt i will get there in the end, just that it will just take a while.

Cheers Fred

So the D: drive on your machine is the DVD or CD burner. Better to make a folder on your c: drive, call it something like c:\transfer and tell the wizard to put the info there when you back up, and restore from there when you run it again as the non admin user.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

wouldn't it be easier to clone the user profile from your administrator account to a newly made account ( then if the new account is administrator then simply un-administrator it ! ) or perhaps create a roaming account !

if your personal files arn't there ,then simply copy everything ( except Ntuser.dat ,Ntuser.dat.log ,Ntuser.ini ) from old user folder to the new one !

just done a search and found these to explain how to achieve this

cloneing profiles:

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-on-windows/?p=769 or http://kb.iu.edu/data/aidk.html

duplicating (over writing) personal files:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

in fact i might just back up my profile ,just in case ,as it wouldn't be the first time a trojan has screwed up a main profile with denial of service attack that remove's the user permissions (which is a total ballache to manually reassign each permission from another admin (built in) account to gain access to folders again etc .

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

wouldn't it be easier to clone the user profile from your administrator account to a newly made account ( then if the new account is administrator then simply un-administrator it ! ) or perhaps create a roaming account !

if your personal files arn't there ,then simply copy everything ( except Ntuser.dat ,Ntuser.dat.log ,Ntuser.ini ) from old user folder to the new one !

in fact i might just back up my profile ,just in case ,as it wouldn't be the first time a trojan has screwed up a main profile with denial of service attack that remove's the user permissions (which is a total ballache to manually reassign each permission from another admin (built in) account to gain access to folders again etc .

No because that only copies your files, not all the settings for your apps, like email addresses, bookmarks, preferences for ms office, all your personal setting in vista or xp.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

No because that only copies your files, not all the settings for your apps, like email addresses, bookmarks, preferences for ms office, all your personal setting in vista or xp.

On XP all you would have had to do was create a new administrator account to do any system management from and then change the account you use now from Administrator to Limited.

On Vista they probably make it a lot harder!