log on as administrator or other user account

Clifftop

A couple of times i have read on this forum that its not advisable to log on to the net as administrator that you shoud have a seperate user account.

So today i ventured into the unknown and open another user account on my PC.

Ive Transfered my email contacts list and favourite web addresses by saving to a flash drive and transferring.

Is there an easier way to transfer other files and folders

Cheers Fred

Edited by Clifftop

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

Assuming the accounts are on the same PC (as it sounds like they are)

Open windows explorer - call it A. Open a second windows explorer session - B (note - windows explorer, not internet explorer)

Locate files/folders on A you want to move. Highlight one or more files/folders, click copy and then locate the new location on B and paste them. If the move goes well, delete the folder on A (unless you want duplicates).

To highlight a large selection of files/folders, click on the first one, hold down the shift key and click on the last one. This will highlight the entire section and when you click to copy, you will be selecting them all.

If the above didn't really give you an answer, say what part wasn't clear. I occasionally do geek speak when I don't really mean to.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

If the above didn't really give you an answer, say what part wasn't clear. I occasionally do geek speak when I don't really mean to.

all of it. :D

if your on xp:

C:/Documents and settings/OLD_USERNAME/ theres all the old files in there

open a second documents and settings folder and transfer files within folders to new username folder for application data such as emails you might need to enable the view hidden files and folders option under tools on the windows explorer

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Ok guys maybe i didn't explain myself properly

i have Vista home premium. sorry Andy should have said that first up.

Newt when i go to the start menu and search for windows explorer it comes up but when i click on it it just opens my documents, is that what its supposed to do?

When i said files and folders i meant such things as photoshop, pictures, photofilter,email stripper.

am i going about this the wrong way completely.

do i have to have them both open ( can i have them both open) is it possible.

sorry to be a pain in the proverbial but i'm not very techy.

ok just had another look and i think a lot of the stuff on the desk top i can download again.

will try and do that tomorrow and if not succesful then will come back and ask the question again. Might try and do it now my weather gizmo tells me its still 34 degrees outside at 11-20pm may not be much sleep tonight. haha

sorry to waste your time guys.

Cheers Fred

Edited by Clifftop

Updated 7/3/09

Ok guys maybe i didn't explain myself properly

i have Vista home premium. sorry Andy should have said that first up.

Newt when i go to the start menu and search for windows explorer it comes up but when i click on it it just opens my documents, is that what its supposed to do?

When i said files and folders i meant such things as photoshop, pictures, photofilter,email stripper.

am i going about this the wrong way completely.

do i have to have them both open ( can i have them both open) is it possible.

sorry to be a pain in the proverbial but i'm not very techy.

ok just had another look and i think a lot of the stuff on the desk top i can download again.

will try and do that tomorrow and if not succesful then will come back and ask the question again. Might try and do it now my weather gizmo tells me its still 34 degrees outside at 11-20pm may not be much sleep tonight. haha

sorry to waste your time guys.

Cheers Fred

Cliiftop

Read this and come back to me if there is anything you don't understand or need help with

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library...15.aspx#BKMK_M2

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Hi Cory, what did i not understand, ( all of it ) haha.

any way i had a go and printed it out and got started. Had the third disc in when up pops a message saying fault in D drive can not continue.

So i have most of my photos backed up on discs apart from last two weeks, so have swapped them into other account, i downloaded all the free programmes i use into new account.

i am having trouble with my documents copying to disc but apart from photo shop i think i have nearly everything i use done. ( was up late last night ).

will ring HB tonight and he will help with PS i hope.

Thanks for the info you supplied, i really do appreciate the help i get from you guys in the Technical help forum.

Cheers Fred

Updated 7/3/09

Hi Cory, what did i not understand, ( all of it ) haha.

any way i had a go and printed it out and got started. Had the third disc in when up pops a message saying fault in D drive can not continue.

So i have most of my photos backed up on discs apart from last two weeks, so have swapped them into other account, i downloaded all the free programmes i use into new account.

i am having trouble with my documents copying to disc but apart from photo shop i think i have nearly everything i use done. ( was up late last night ).

will ring HB tonight and he will help with PS i hope.

Thanks for the info you supplied, i really do appreciate the help i get from you guys in the Technical help forum.

Cheers Fred

Have you got an external USB Drive of any kind Clifftop?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Have you got an external USB Drive of any kind Clifftop?

No mate im basic as.

i have no doubt i will get there in the end, just that it will just take a while.

Cheers Fred

Updated 7/3/09