Spooked

10 brownie points

If on a small river something spooks the fish, for example a body mass bumping and trashing down the steep bank and into the edge of the reeds at the edge of the water.

How long before you could expect the fish to settle back down so that it would make it possible to fish that stretch of water again or is that it for the day???? :confused:

Also should that person expect to skip the next 100 yards or more??? :confused:

Not saying that the body mass was mine, would you believe me if I said it wasn't :D !!!!

Very 'water dependant' most fish would 'return to station within 1/2 hour, some will move off to 'station #2' for the rest of the day! I try to enter the water a good cast and a few strides below any target fish - but you often spook one you did not see! best not to wade if you can. I have caught fish from a spot I just left the water from so its worth a try! We've all had a fish go through our legs - take station 20 feet above us and take a fly on a short cast!

good luck

Toggle

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

It also depends how "small" is your river and how deep.

I have spooked fish that have moved 15ft into deeper water and taken a fly about 10 minutes later.

Shallow water takes longer to "recover", in my experience.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Yea it's a small river most runs being between 3 or 4 feet deep and the deepest holes at 6 to 8 feet deep.

It's sometimes closes in to only 8 or 10 feet wide, so yes its small but its a challenge that I like.

I always try to almost crawl up to the bank but and there are a 101 excuses why these things happen (wet grass, cutaway bank, watching the fish and not looking where your going etc)

Myself and grandaughter 4 spooked 2 trout last night in a river approx 6 ft wide 2/3ft deep she wanted to see them again so we walked downstream and back approx 20 mins and they were back in the swim and feeding we sat there for 30 mins while I explained how and why they feed she was as quiet as a mouse methinks she may turn out to be a fishergirl with a little encouragement rob :):)

when you think you know everything think again....