River Wandle pollution

tiddlertamer

Many of you will have seen the shocking reports and photos of the fish kill and pollution incident in the river Wandle caused by Thames Water scewing up.

This lovely little urban river, which had made such great strides in recent years was hit badly...

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/News/river-wandle-fish-kill.html

I myself have fished a few miles north of Beddington sewage works, since the incident happened in September 2007, and caught a few small perch, dace and chub, but nothing nearing even half a pound.

How long does it normally take for a river to recover from this type of incident? (Feel free to refer to other pollution incidents elewhere in the UK.)

How far north did the pollution stretch?

I heard a radio report of Thames Water funding a restocking of parts of the river. To what extent and where?

Is any more restocking planned and with what species and where and when?

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Some links for you:

Thanks Angly. Very helpful links.

The Morden Hall Park angling club website throws up the following helpful bit of info on restocking.

......................... Chub Dace Barbel Roach

Poulters Park .........200 .150 .. 400......600

Ravensbury Park......800 .250...100......900

Mordern Hall Park.....100 .. 50 ....500 ....500

Hackbridge.............100 ..50.....0 .......300

Wimbledon .............50 ......0......0........200

Totals...................1,250...500 ...1,000..2,500

http://www.mhpac.freeforums.org/re-stocking-list-t17.html

Elsewhere, fishing forums indicate that some lumps including both barbel and carp are coming out of the river.

So although the pollution incident was clearly a disaster, there is still a lot of hope for this gem of an inner city river.

I just wish I was a good enough fisherman to catch some of the better fish! I live in hope though...

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

I don't know if you're aware, but unfortunately some 'well meaning individuals' (not my first choice of words, but I'm being charitable) transferred some fish from Mitcham common to the Wandle when one of the ponds was being worked on. Whether that will have a negative impact on the Wandle is as yet to be seen.

Worryingly, the Morden hall club seems to support the 'stocking' and I've seen statements on their forum suggesting they wouldn't report anyone illegally stocking sections of the Wandle. Doesn't it make you heart glow that we are surrounded by such an upstanding group of anglers with the the welfare of angling foremost in their minds? :wallbash:

Geoff

The thing I worry about in situations like this is that all to often the "cure" is seen as just restocking with numbers of fish. Everyone (anglers,courts etc etc) seem to orget that the real damage done is the poisoning of the actual aquatic enviroment.Not only are the fish killed but also most of what they feed on.

With the Wandles last tragic "accident" it was (if I remember right) chlorine or bleach that was introduced from the Beddington Lane waterworks.Ive no idea how effectivelys can be neutralised in the water system. Also my main worry was that in 2007 we were catching lots of small chublets which would have hopefully pointed to an even better future.This is what often is not replaced.

I had only been in the area a short while before the last pollution but the river had become a firm favourite with me.The club had only just recently been formed and local opinion seemed a bit divided on it (mainly as there was a fee!) The couple of guys I knew from it(mainly down to my car boot tackle dealings!) seemed keen enough though and even if not knowledgeable their hearts in the right place.

The water authority gave them a sign written Jeep just after the incident!

All though local papers were quick to condem the polluters they were in all fairness quick to report that they had also "held their hands up" quickly and had promised to rectify both the damage caused and put in practices that would prevent a similar happening.

Wandles an amazing place and I hope it continues to be so.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I don't know if you're aware, but unfortunately some 'well meaning individuals' (not my first choice of words, but I'm being charitable) transferred some fish from Mitcham common to the Wandle when one of the ponds was being worked on. Whether that will have a negative impact on the Wandle is as yet to be seen.

Worryingly, the Morden hall club seems to support the 'stocking' and I've seen statements on their forum suggesting they wouldn't report anyone illegally stocking sections of the Wandle. Doesn't it make you heart glow that we are surrounded by such an upstanding group of anglers with the the welfare of angling foremost in their minds? :wallbash:

I enclose a link to the debate on the forum discussing this issue. I'm sure people here will have a view which they wish to share...

http://www.mhpac.freeforums.org/membership...ickets-t62.html

I actually took a wander down the Wandle today and wetted a line. Trotted a float down a couple of fishy looking glides. Only for the last hour and a half before darkness, but, much as I love trawling this forum, probably a better way to find out about the impact of the pollution. :P

And I caught a couple of fish so it's not all doom and gloom on the Wandle. :)

Sent a float down the second spot I was fishing and it disappeared. Slowly, oh so slowly, my brain registered that this indicated a bite. (I've blanked the last four times out fishing including rivers such as the Great Ouse) And lo and behold did I strike and lo and behold did I catch a chub.

3oz, not the 3lb I hoped for, but a fin perfect chub.

A couple of missed bites followed (I'm sure they were much bigger fish :o ) and then a roach. Only a small roach but fin perfect too.

I was fishing right on the borders of the Morden Hall Park club - quite where the free stretch and free fishing stretch is I am am genuinely not too sure though I'm sure members well be keen to let me know... :)

The good news is that this was but a couple of miles downstream from the Beddington treatment works where the pollution incident happened...

Edited by tiddlertamer

I eventually mean to have a look at every free stretch of the Wandle up to the Savacentre, but so far I've only looked as far as the green near the Goat Pub (the Beddington outfall). What I didn't realise until I looked, was that the Beddington outfall pumps warm water into the Wandle, and at least when I looked, it turns the piddly 12" deep stream devoid of anything but tiny fry into a fast moving river.

In the Morden Hall Park stretch (unless things have changed) the fish are caught in between weirs with no fish ladder, so really it's a series of elongated stocked lakes.

Edit: Oh, and well done!

Edited by Angly

Geoff

was that clive terry your on about budgie and does he still have anything to do with the wandle?

i havnt been up that way for a while now but remember clive was kitting his shop out to help educate the local kids on the wandle and was setting up a club for the river...

cant seem to see his name associated with anything?? and lost his number ...is he still involved and does anyone know if there are going to be any junior invites on the wandle in the future?

does anyone know if there are any (other clubs) invites to fish the wandle (by this, i mean any club run section) planned for the future or do you have to be a member?

i have alot of juniors that would love to be shown how to fish the river by seasoned anglers and seem to remember this was going to be a possability.?

its great to hear that things are moving forward for the clean up, from fish stocking to trolley removals and well done to all involved... :D

on another note, i dont agree with moving the fish from the common but how can you condem people for being human???

probably the E.A should have been on top of this ?

mmmmm thats probably an argument that can go on forever and will have strong views either side..

There are two clubs that are on the Wandle:

Morden Park - http://www.mhpac.freeforums.org/

Wandle Picators - http://www.wandlepiscators.net/

Morden park actually control a small part of the Wandle, but except that and a private section at the old Ram Brewery in Wandsworth it is free to fish.

The Wandle Piscators (I am a member) is a small wandering club that meets on an adhoc basis on the Wandle and at other locations. It is a mixed fishing club as people trot and fly the Wandle in equal numbers, generally meeting at the Savacentre.

The river is fishing well and there are a few chub, barbel, dace and the occasional Brown Trout. The pollution happened below the water works and the trout have always been present towards the source but are generally very small. However there is a careful EA re-stocking policy of Fry and their is also a trout stocking policy. The preservation of the river is taken very seriously and regular clean ups and EA support for fly life is active.

http://www.wandletrust.org/

I have only made a few visits, fly and trot but the fish are there and if you join The Wandle's our small forum talks about the fish caught ....... and there are a lot. I have caught a trout 2lbs on the fly and plenty on the Trot.

The Wandles are a very friendly bunch and the main players are very helpful and will often help beginners of all types. It's £20 a year.

Carl

http://www.wandlepiscators.net/

http://teiseangling.co.uk/index.htm

'Success has many friends and failure many orphans'

Clinton