Drogue set up

greg long

Guest PhilB

If I was in a hurry i would make it 4 - 5 feet square and tie an overhand knot in each corner. then get 4 lengths of cord each 4' long. Tie a grinner (slip) knot in one end of each cord and fasten them over the corner knots. Then tie a loop at the other end of the cords and attach to a ring or carbine hook or similar. then add the main cord (about 12' should do) to this. Hope this makes sense!

Guest PhilB

Try a hole about 4-5" diameter. It works OK without, but a hole is better - it just takes more time to make. I also have a bit of lead on 2 adjacent corners to help it sink and the 4 cords meet up on each corner of a square wooden block so they do not tangle. This is then connected to a heavy duty ball-bearing swivel, reducing rope twisting & more tangles. A lazy line attached at the block is real handy - you can pull in the drogue without reaching to where it is attached to the boat.

You can attach the drogue with 2 lines i.e 2 corner ropes to one mainline 2 to the other. Get down to the local cheapo hardware shop and get acouple of cheap g clamps then you can move the drogue along the gunnel and control the drift!